Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerator Build on an EXTREMELY LOW Budget - GE WRM04GAVABB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
mateo6891
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kegerator Build on an EXTREMELY LOW Budget - GE WRM04GAVABB

I know there's a million kegerator builds out there, but here's my GE WRM04GAVABB mini fridge on an EXTREMELY low budget. I'm the single income provider of a family of four, full time job, and classes at night working on my degree. I'm a very diy person, "It ain't broke until I can't fix it". So heres my build.

The fridge has been sitting out in the shed for a couple of years after it stopped working. After replacing the defrost heater and inlet valves on our main fridge, I decided to take a look at it. After a few minutes with the multimeter I found the thermostat was bad. Well after awhile searching online, the best I found was $15 (universal) on ebay before shipping. Next day I called a local small town used appliance store, and got a "good ol boy" hook up, didn't come from the same fridge, but I can make it work. After a few modifications it fit right in, and the fridge was running like a champ again.

Well I had the fridge, but I'm still lacking kegs, CO2 tank, regulator, draft tower, and everything else. After a few calls to friends and craigslist ad's, I scored a faucet, ball lock corny, and 15lb (FOR SALE) 20lb CO2 tanks. For a grand total of.... FREE (All from friends).

So time to dig around all the random stuff I have and get to work. First was the tap handle. I got the faucet first, so this was my first project. It was a scrap piece of red oak I had lying around. Free handed the outline then went at it with the jigsaw. I came back later with the dremel and router attachment to do the bottom. Used a soldering iron to slightly burn it, then used some krylon satin clear I had.
tap-handle-rough.jpg tap-handle-finished.jpg
I didn't have anything yet else so I looked through my junk pile and found a piece of 3" PVC and a drain, draft tower was next. A lot of sanding, several coats of high build primer, 400 grit sanding, satin black krylon and then clear. Done.
tower-collar.jpg
Well, I can't build a shank for the tap, but I can build a collar so it will fit on my draft tower. After a failed drunken attempt the night before with the drill press and hole saw, I decided to try again the next day. I took some measurements from my buddies kegerator and found that a 3/4" PVC coupler is the perfect size. I traced the rough shape on to the elbow I had, then took the dremal with a cut off wheel to it. It was WAY of, so used the dremel once again with a small sanding pad to slowly shape it till I was happy.
collar-pvc-cut.jpg collar.jpg
Since my freezer section of the fridge was the coils, I VERY carefully bent and shaped the to the back. I found I can actually fit two kegs without removing anything from the door (more room for beer!!) with the CO2 tank external.

Next random project was a draft tower cooler. I took an old spinner bait box, computer fan, switch (came with the mini fridge thermostat), a PVC coupling, and power supply I had and came up with this.

So far I'm in it for a grand total of...... $0 (kind of). SHWMO wanted to trash the fridge but I kept it around, paid around $140 four years ago. The rest of the stuff I had lying around and got from friends. I'm still lacking a shank and CO2 regulator. So more pics when it's complete.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
mateo6891
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Since I can't figure out how to attach more than five pictures, here's the rest.

fridge.jpg

inside-fridge.jpg

open-keg.jpg

air-pump.jpg

fridge-model.jpg

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
-Dave Barry

Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
mateo6891
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After the regulator, shank, and hose I should be around $75 give or take. Plus what ever was spent in the past on the random parts..... But we won't count that

-Dave Barry

Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A true cheapskate doesn't need a regulator...it's technically possible just to charge the keg with 15psi or so then top it off after every couple glasses.

Not that I've been doing that for several months or anything...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
mateo6891
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Go the final placement of the tower. Also got a 2" hole drilled in the top. I have it sealed with aluminum tape now, but forgot to take a picture. Getting close.

image-2934363271.jpg   image-1034315546.jpg  

-Dave Barry

Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
mateo6891
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Talking to a buddy that used to have a bar, I found out he had a lot of extra stuff around I could through and have what I need. Ended up with 20lb co2 tank and a dual regulator.
image-277741311.jpg

With all the big stuff out of the way, time to pick up a shank and she's ready to go.

-Dave Barry

Old 10-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

Cool. Thats nice that you can fit 2 kegs in it without hacking up the door too.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
mateo6891
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I found with two kegs the door will need to be stripped. For now it will be just one, but I designed it to expand to two kegs with little effort.

-Dave Barry

Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Well done, that tap handle looks very professional.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Nice, keep posting pics of the process. And let us know how you mounted the fan, and how the PVC works as a tower.

Quick Reply