Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegarator/Keezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
michaelm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegarator/Keezer

I know it's been forever since I have posted anything on here so I thought I would share... Sorry for the wall of txt and pics but... well its worth it

Took a break from airguns in the shop and decided it was time to build myself a nice kegarator.... I am so tired of bottleing my beers and quiet honest tired of having that many beer bottles sitting around so it is time to move to kegs

Basicaly I started out with a plain white chest freezer so I had to build a collar for the taps to come through....

I also decided to attach the collar to the lid so the whole thing lifts up instead of the freezer body for 2 reasons as well... First so I didnt have to lift full kegs another 8+ inches to get them into the freezer and second when putting kegs into the freezer I dont have to dodge tap shanks and barbs and maybe break something/knock something loose.... this way when I open the lid the whole collar lifts up moving the taps/shanks and most the hosing right up outta the way.....

first step was to build the collar and attach it to the lid.... I did this by removing the stock seal around the lid and measuring the groove that the seal sits in.... then I took some 4 inch tongue and groove boards and ripped them down the middle into 2 2inch wide boards one with a tongue one with the groove... the tongue boards got cut to make a box that snaps into place in the stock grooves on the lid..... then around that I measured and cut the 1x8 popular boards that makeup the body of the collar itself then cut the 2 inch groove boards to fit inside the bottom of the box making a new groove for the factory seal to snap in place.... collar snapps into the lid the seal snaps into the collar and it all fits back together like it was made that way

groove in lid

top of collar with tongue

bottom of collar with groove

Then I laid out the holes for the tap handles and the cutout for the PID controller I am using to control the freezer temps.... snapped everything together for a test fit.

Now I started the stain... after spending alot of money of a high quality stain and testing it on some scraps I was VERY dissapointed.... this popular has some very nice grain but the stain just covered it up and made the wood look "muddy" instead of pretty and nice wood.... so did some research and learned that stains are mostly opaque dyes and have a tendancy to cover the grain and what I needed was a wood DYE they color the wood but keep the grain nice and sharp and make it "pop" .... more research reveals wood dyes are not so cheap either but a great way to DIY it is to mix RIT dyes to get the color you want so thats what I did... 5 bucks worth of RIT dye later and I have this sexy color starting to emmerge

couple more coats of that to get to the nice dark reddish brown I was looking for and time to seal it up

Now for the freezer.... no way was it staying white so I filled in some small dents and scratches masked off the front 5 inches of the lid and painted it with chalkboard paint so I can write right on it whats in each tap then painted everything else a hammered black finish...

then painted the rest of the freezer and control parts put it all together wired her up

And lastly programmed the PID controller to hold the temps I want and poured myself a nice fresh from the tap beer

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Nice job. Did you paint the rubber seal

Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
jmcvay131
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow I'm actually jealous, great job.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

One of the nicest ones I've seen. Great job.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
mk3vr666
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Drip tray or no?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
RWB1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can we see a shot of the inside...and how did u attach the lid to the wood riser?

Excellent job by the way...very nice.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Bonas96
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where did you get the temp controller? Easy to setup/install?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #8
michaelm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcabrew View Post
Nice job. Did you paint the rubber seal
Nope I left it white.. in the picture with the lid open you can see how it sits back from the edge a bit so when its closed unless y ou get down eye level with it you cant really see the seal anyways so I left it be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3vr666 View Post
Drip tray or no?
Yup just need to attach it.... going to go the 9 dollar stainless steel smoker box from lowes route and attach magnets and use it for the drip tray.... they honetsly look VERY good in person... not cheesy at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB1 View Post
Can we see a shot of the inside...and how did u attach the lid to the wood riser?
Excellent job by the way...very nice.
I only have one Keg in it right now but I can go take a pic tomorrow of the inside.... I still need to route the wires for the controller neatly and insulate the inside of the coller but since its damned cold out here and this is staying in the garage for now I wasnt to worried.... needed to get it out of the shop so I can get started on the grainmill I am starting tomorrow....

If you go back and look at the first 2 pictures in the post the groove in the lid just litteraly snaps into place on the tongue thats on the top of the collar no need for glue or anything else as its a very very tight fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonas96 View Post
Where did you get the temp controller? Easy to setup/install?
Thanks!
I got the PID controller the SSR(solide state relay needed for the high amp aplication of switching the motor on and off) and the RTD type pt100 temp probe all for right around 40 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Digital-...item20c5a9171e

I bought it from a different seller but this is the exact setup I started with....

its VERY easy to setup and wire especially if your familliar with electronics or really anytype of electrical wiring....... its not as simple as just plugging it in and plugging the freezer into it there is some rewiring of things that has to be done BUT you have alot of option with a setup like this too(that and it just looks REALLY cool )

there are a few settings you do need to set though that if you dont have them right can cause problems....

Thanks for the compliments guys I spent alot of time figureing and making it just right.... I am NOT a wood worker more of a metal fab guy so I took extra time and care to get the collar all smooth and pretty and the right color and such... that was to me the hardest and most labor intensive part of the build

Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What size freezer is that? I have something VERY similar in the works.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

very nice looking

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Quick Reply