Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keg-O-Vision

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #21
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So the honey-do list and mother's day prevented me from getting as much accomplished as I would have liked, but that's life.

First order of business was to get my electrical project box completed. It's similar to the ebay aquarium controller build, but with a love controller I had around. It has a total of 5 outlets, only 2 of which are controlled by the temp controller.

ElectricalBoxIso

Next I got to work on the stereo. Because this is incorporating a car stereo, the wiring is a little odd. I was going to use a relay to switch the "battery" on / off through the actual power button on the TV, but it turns out the power button on the TV does not maintain contact after being pushed...which I suppose makes sense but is a hassle. So I will have to get a new switch and build a small mount for it to install behind the power button and properly work the system (sorry no pictures yet).

Last (and longest) accomplishment of the week was finalizing the height / width / depth of the frame. This took a lot longer than expected, but we think we managed to get all the equipment, insulation, and aesthetics accounted for. Here it is all screwed together (all butt joints w/ some pocket screws where needed).

RightSideRoughIn

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #22
trevor_b
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Subscribed!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #23
JoshuaWhite5522

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

this build has me interested, can't wait to see the progress

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 AM   #24
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Finally have some more progress to show.

When we wired up the speakers, my wife thought they needed a little more backbone. So we put in this slim subwoofer (center speaker). After it was installed, I realized it wouldn't fit with the trim piece that will go over it due to some plastic supports...so it's back to the drawing board on the position of the sub, but there are options.

The left side of the shelf is roughed in at this point also, which took a lot longer than expected.

Subwoofer

I also built a little shelf and lag bolted it to the bottom of the original TV. This allowed my AC unit to sit outside the back at the right distance. It's hard to see in the pics but there is a little angled piece that protrudes out the back and the AC shelf is almost perfectly in line with that shelf.

ACShelf

Questions / comments welcome.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)

Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Got quite a bit accomplished (at least in my mind) this weekend.

First thing we accomplished was getting the rough in work permanently attached to the housing. We wanted to ensure that it wouldn't move or flex for the final detail work and insulation work. The middle shelf is at the final height and attached as well.

FrontRoughInDone

Next we cut the holes in the sides so I can slide the corny's in and out. We also took some veneered plywood and made the doors. Using insert nuts and 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" screws with the plastic thumb screw cap on them. Got the doors cut, eased the edges with a 3/8" round over bit in my router and painted. Here they are attached. The color in the first picture does not seem to match very well, but in indoor lighting it should look pretty good.

DoorLeftSide

DoorRightSide

Next up is getting the subwoofer in a better position, and building mounting boxes for the stereo deck and the power supply. Then we run electricals and finally get this thing insulated. After that is final detail work.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
Hokie_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

subbed

Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
Elky
Recipes 

Count me in

Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
The_C_Tripp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is so awesome. Subbed

Old 06-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #29
The_Dog_42

Recipes 

Finally getting around to posting an update.

Memorial day weekend was a great weekend for SWMBO projects, but I don't think I put 2 hours into the kegerator. All my time went into putting up the iron railing in this pic.

PorchRailing

Luckily, my wife was more dedicated to the project. She installed the electronics into the box. Here is the front, with the stereo installed and operating (upper left).

FrontStereoOn

All the electronics to power it are mounted to the back. Arrows from left to right are as follows: Subwoofer box, Subwoofer, 110v to 13.8v power supply, temp controller. After it was all wired up, we realized we needed an amp for the subwoofer. I'm hoping to get that wired up and tested today and installed tomorrow. When all the wiring is completely done and operational, I'll go back and clean it all up.

RearElectronics

Then she installed the fold out front panel that the channel and volume buttons used to be on. Arrows from left to right are: USB input and RCA inputs (including video) to stereo, temp sensor (not the controller, it wouldn't fit and I didn't want to have to turn the kegerator around every time I wanted to know the temp) and useless channel and volume buttons.

InputPanelWInsulation

As you can see, we also started work on the insulation. Using rigid foam from HD in layers.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #30
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

With all of the "my wife did this", "my wife did that", "my wife installed such-n-such", "my wife cut this" that I see in this thread, I think your wife is WAY cooler than you are.

Quick Reply