Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keg Lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldognuts
Orphy, can you explain what you mean by using the rim as a guide using an angle grinder. I'm taking on this project this weekend and it would be a great help. As an aside, I am drinking my first glass wheat beer from my newly fabricated sanyo 4912. Thanks to all for there post and expertise. Kelly
Hold the angle grinder back against the rim of the keg. That way you get a good consistand circular cut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Yes. Whether or not the keg police are going to bust you. OK. I didn't say that. Shhh.
If you are in or close to Florida get your kegs there. I have been looking for "legal" cheap kegs for a while and found a guy in Jacksonville trying to get rid of one, and he said he will look for a few more for me. In Florida, the distributors and brewerys won't take the kegs back without a receipt, and the scrap companies won't take them because there is such a ruckous about them being obtained "illegally". A lot of these kegs end up in the trash, in someones back yard, in someones barn etc. That makes the keg abandonned. Meaning, finders keepers...that doesn't mean go and lose the receipt though. It just means go find the ones people dump. Go get em. Hurry up though because the brewerys Florida will probably start following New Yorks example and start tracking the serial number so they know "whose" keg it is.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldognuts
Orphy, can you explain what you mean by using the rim as a guide using an angle grinder. I'm taking on this project this weekend and it would be a great help. As an aside, I am drinking my first glass wheat beer from my newly fabricated sanyo 4912. Thanks to all for there post and expertise. Kelly
Theres also a good video on youtube on converting a keg and it explains a little bit on using a jig to cut the holes. search keg, kettle, keggle, or keg conversion on youtube and you should find it.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here it is. Looks like it was posted by a Homebrewtalk member! Yuri_Rage also has a conversion video there, but if you don't have any plasma cutting skills you will want to build the jig. I don't have a cutter, or any skills using it, so its off to Home Crapo for a grinder for a grinder and some clamps for me! He says the jig has a 2 inch hold saw that fits right into the tap hole after you remove the center. He probably could put a spacer between the hole saw and the hole to make a tighter fit but it doesnt seem like he needs it to do a pretty good job cutting that hole. Looks like a pretty easy jig to build to me. Go for it man.

Last edited by Skrimpy; 09-16-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
jesse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy
If you are in or close to Florida get your kegs there. I have been looking for "legal" cheap kegs for a while and found a guy in Jacksonville trying to get rid of one, and he said he will look for a few more for me. In Florida, the distributors and brewerys won't take the kegs back without a receipt, and the scrap companies won't take them because there is such a ruckous about them being obtained "illegally". A lot of these kegs end up in the trash, in someones back yard, in someones barn etc. That makes the keg abandonned. Meaning, finders keepers...that doesn't mean go and lose the receipt though. It just means go find the ones people dump. Go get em. Hurry up though because the brewerys Florida will probably start following New Yorks example and start tracking the serial number so they know "whose" keg it is.
I call bull**** on that one...Where did you get your info from???

Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 AM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Here it is. Looks like it was posted by a Homebrewtalk member! Yuri_Rage also has a conversion video there, but if you don't have any plasma cutting skills you will want to build the jig. I don't have a cutter, or any skills using it, so its off to Home Crapo for a grinder for a grinder and some clamps for me! He says the jig has a 2 inch hold saw that fits right into the tap hole after you remove the center. He probably could put a spacer between the hole saw and the hole to make a tighter fit but it doesnt seem like he needs it to do a pretty good job cutting that hole. Looks like a pretty easy jig to build to me. Go for it man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthGdMk_avk
Yeah, that's my vid. It is pretty easy but I don't know if I'd go through the trouble for a single keg. It's not that hard to cut freehand with the grinder. It won't be perfect, but...
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #17
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse
I call bull**** on that one...Where did you get your info from???
A guy on a bottle digging forum I frequent. I posted in their classified section that I was looking for kegs and he said he had one. I asked him if the thing was legal. He said that the cops raided an underage party in his apartment complex and left the keg behind. He grabbed the keg and tried to return it for the deposit. He tried several times at several different places and nobody would take it without the receipt. He then turned to the scrap yards and they of course wouldn't touch the thing with a ten foot pole. I don't know what you think about it but to me that is abandonned property! The people that "own" the thing won't take it back without a receipt??!!?? By any law, that's abandonned, and by any law, acquired property previously abandonned is NOT stolen. Get your keg in florida.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #18
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Yeah, that's my vid. It is pretty easy but I don't know if I'd go through the trouble for a single keg. It's not that hard to cut freehand with the grinder. It won't be perfect, but...
I would for one keg (because I am a perfectionist), but I will end up doing 4-5 anyway. Even if it was a little off I would throw the thing out and start over. Great video by the way. I watch it every now and again. That tune is a trip. Nice job laying it into the video too.

Last edited by Skrimpy; 09-28-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Even if it was a little off I would throw the thing out and start over.
I'll take your scraps.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
jbreiding
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
A guy on a bottle digging forum I frequent. I posted in their classified section that I was looking for kegs and he said he had one. I asked him if the thing was legal. He said that the cops raided an underage party in his apartment complex and left the keg behind. He grabbed the keg and tried to return it for the deposit. He tried several times at several different places and nobody would take it without the receipt. He then turned to the scrap yards and they of course wouldn't touch the thing with a ten foot pole. I don't know what you think about it but to me that is abandonned property! The people that "own" the thing won't take it back without a receipt??!!?? By any law, that's abandonned, and by any law, acquired property previously abandonned is NOT stolen. Get your keg in florida.
The distributors are taking the brunt of this since they were previously doing $10 keg deposits, or at least that what the owner a popular establishment in downtown orlando was telling me, and the kegs were getting about $40 for scrap at scrap yards. So people were stealing and scrapping them.

If you really wanted to return it to someone you could return it to a distributor, I highly doubt they would say no, of course they probably wouldn't offer you any money either. It sounds like he was trying to return only to get money for it.

Quick Reply