Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer vs Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keezer vs Kegerator

So after wanting to build a kegerator from an old mini fridge, I encounter the problem of the freezer part. Now I'm wandering if it would be easier to buy a small chest freezer and convert to a keezer. What are some of the pros and cons of kegerator vs keezer? I primarily want to have one corny keg on tap. I know I would need a temp controller on the keezer and not on the kegerator

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 186

I was just pondering the same question. I'll be interested to hear some of the pros vs cons for upright fridges vs chest freezers as well.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you really going to be happy with just one keg on tap long term? Build keezer that will hold 3-5 kegs and be happy that you can enjoy multiple brews at the same time. The biggest draw back to the mini fridge is space. My keezer holds 4 or 5 cornys (5 requires a squeeze), my hops and yeast, and a good supply of bottled beer/soda/water. Far more versatile than a kegerator for one or 2 cornys

Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
Are you really going to be happy with just one keg on tap long term? Build keezer that will hold 3-5 kegs and be happy that you can enjoy multiple brews at the same time. The biggest draw back to the mini fridge is space. My keezer holds 4 or 5 cornys (5 requires a squeeze), my hops and yeast, and a good supply of bottled beer/soda/water. Far more versatile than a kegerator for one or 2 cornys
I've seen (on here and other places) refrigerators that can easily hold 3-4 kegs, plus have the extra freezer space on top.

While chest freezers do have more options for larger space and more kegs, not everyone needs more than 4 kegs at a time. And freezers take up more floorspace than an upright fridge will...

Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I have a two tap kegerator that I built from the Danby. I never really have or want more than two beers available to be on tap, so the two tap works great for me. Also, I prefer my kegerator be inside, which isn't aesthetically pleasing with an upright or a keezer without a huge bar build.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
zegolf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrewer73 View Post
I have a two tap kegerator that I built from the Danby. I never really have or want more than two beers available to be on tap, so the two tap works great for me. Also, I prefer my kegerator be inside, which isn't aesthetically pleasing with an upright or a keezer without a huge bar build.
Came here to say the same thing. I get two regular size cornies in my Danby mini fridge. I have a two-tap tower on the top and it all fits neatly behind my bar, out of the view of anyone that might come into our basement, if I want to hide it.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After much consideration, I decided to go with a chest freezer from CL. The options to customize are endless, plus there is more room for kegs, yeast, bottles etc. Seeing the various builds on here is inspiring.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After much consideration, I decided to go with a chest freezer from CL. The options to customize are endless, plus there is more room for kegs, yeast, bottles etc. Seeing the various builds on here is inspiring.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2brew1221 View Post
I think that's a good choice. I just went through the same process in my first build and went with the keezer. A fridge I think has less initial hassle/cost, but the keezer provides more room to grow and customize. As for aesthetics, do it right and a Keezer can be really eye-catching.

FWIW, chest freezers are also more efficient.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have decided to go with a 5 cu ft chest from CL. From the pictures posted here, there are endless ways to customize and personalize a chest keezer. I am looking forward to the build

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS