Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Tempature Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
zmad2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keezer Tempature Controller

I have a chest freezer that i got from craigslist for $20 and also have a temperature controller from ebay on its way.

I have been looking at all the other builds and havent seen anybody integrate their controller right into the chest freezer/frig. Later i will post a picture of the current wiring on mine but i was wondering if anybody has done that. Hook the temperature controller to the freezer/frig. From what i can tell on mine the color coding of the wires and the layout looks exactly the same as the how people have their controller boxes setup.

Has anybody integrated the temperature controller to the freezer/frig and not plugged one into the other???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

Who ever plugs them in externally? Sounds like a silly thing to do

Yes indeed you can pull the existing thermostat and put the new controller in right where the old one used to be. There's normally a lot of room down in the compressor compartment for doing exactly that. You can either mount it so the cover plate comes off to adjust the controller (easy) or so the controller sticks out through the plate (takes some cutting of the plate). I don't fiddle the controller much, so the pull the plate to adjust the controller approach works fine for me.

One thing to check - the sensor lead on your eBay controller may or may not be long enough to get up into the freezer compartment. It's worth checking before you decide on what you are doing.

Bob

Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
zmad2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well i have already integrated my temp controller in my keezer.

When i say external i mean that the keezer plugs into a temperature controller box not directly into the wall. I havent seen anybody really who talks about replacing the existing temp controller with the ebay controller.

I was able to figure out the wiring and my keezer has been running well for over a month serving up over 6 kegs. Also i was asking this so i didnt have to buy anything else to control my keezer.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
soundgodjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was wondering how to make my controller as simple as possible. I went with the K.I.S.S. method.

image-811688389.jpg

Wired directly to freezer compressor.

image-349237466.jpg

Wiring on love tsx3 controller

Edit: I used a 14# 4 conductor wire (the white jacket wire) to make it simple and clean.

Last edited by soundgodjr; 06-03-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

The compressor is pulling 4.5 amps, so number 14 is a bit of overkill. Anything bigger than number 23 would do the trick. Nothing wrong with big wire, it can be a bit awkward to route.

Bob

Old 07-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
soundgodjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob
Hi

The compressor is pulling 4.5 amps, so number 14 is a bit of overkill. Anything bigger than number 23 would do the trick. Nothing wrong with big wire, it can be a bit awkward to route.

Bob
Rather be safe than sorry IMO.

Quick Reply