Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer - sanity check before proceeding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
eujamfh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Keezer - sanity check before proceeding

Before I start the keezer, I wanted to run this by the forum. Based on all the reading I have done, I think I am tracking…two questions remain; chalk board paint and CO2 set up.

- 14.8 Maytag from Home Depot - scratch and dent
- Intend on four taps, which leaves lots of room for standby/crashing
- NOT building a collar. I have decided to use towers.
--I think I will go with two, two tap towers (Perlick 525ss). Going with two since it is cheaper then a four tap tower, I can get a tower with 525ss already installed.
-- Towers only slightly more expensive then parting out a coffin box myself and frankly am not that handy with my wood tools. Wife wants it to look decent so towers are a safer bet.
--towers centered (not all the way to the back) for astetics as well as helping with the amount I will have to move from wall to open top
- Will put the chest on casters (going to harbor freight today to look as casters- they have one version with ball bearings so I will likely get that one)
- Planning on 1/2 plywood on top (stained), with some sort of board inside for additional tower support.
- Intend on painting sides with chalkboard paint. ***I am not sure what to do with the dimpling on the freezer. Have those that painted spent the time to bondo in all the dimples or can I simply paint the sides (two coats)???
- single regulator with diverter valve for eight kegs. Clearly will serve from four, but want to carbonate slowly at dispensing pressure. (not sold on this yet - my put a second regulator in there…)
- Johnson digital controller

Am missing anything? Any thoughts on the chalk paint and number of regulators? I already have a four port diverter so I was just going to add another but could easily modify based on input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
stlblues5010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looks like a good plan.
Get the best casters you can and be sure they are hard not the soft rubber, they will flat spot with that much weight.
Ditch the temp controller. There is a thread here that shows you how to adjust the tiny screw on the back of the thermostat on the freezer, I can't find it right now but it works it's what I did.
You will need the second regulator to do force carbonating unless you can shut off or disconnect your other taps. Be sure to use shut off valves.
Good Luck and Enjoy.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
mhespenh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues5010 View Post
Looks like a good plan.
Ditch the temp controller. There is a thread here that shows you how to adjust the tiny screw on the back of the thermostat on the freezer, I can't find it right now but it works it's what I did.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guid...2/index13.html

Gonna give that a try on the chest I'm picking up tonight. I love this place

Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I have these casters, re they too soft? It says max 125lb, dont know if I can multiply that by 4 if I use 4 of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ock-95356.html

Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
I have these casters, re they too soft? It says max 125lb, dont know if I can multiply that by 4 if I use 4 of them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ock-95356.html
Yes, 125lbs per wheel

Quick Reply