Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > The 'Keezer' Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #21
Monster Mash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Jester - what model is your freezer? In hindsight, would you have chosen a different one?

After getting frustrated with the routine of defrosting my kegerator (and getting water all over the floor), my SWMBO just suggested that I build one of these! I'm excited...but I don't want to rush into the project too quickly.

I built an adapter to plug into the drain of the freezer to go to a garden hose. I take another hose and rinse out the freezer every couple months and the water runs down the driveway.

I don't think you will ever get away from the defrosting problem but I did put in one of those reuseable dehumidifiers and it works wonders for keeping the inside dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 06:08 AM   #22
BadKarmaa

Recipes 

Default wood = bad?

I recently came across a giant chest freezer for 50 bucks, and have similar plans for it. I'm glad I found this thread as I had no idea covering the outside freezer walls with wood could hinder the compressor. Although I had 1/4'' or 1/2'' birch plywood in mind, could you elaborate a bit on how connecting a fan to the compressor fits into this project? I don't know jack about electrical work so if you could make it KISS it would make my day.

On another note.....I also have concerns regarding the weight of the door. Even without the tile my original plan called for, the weight of the wood on top, plus the giant 8 tap tower is going to be a struggle to open and put a lot of strain on the hinges. So I had the idea of changing the hinges so the lid would lift up and out. Kind of like the coffee table at this link below.

http://www.coffeetablesgalore.com/co...e.cfm#navbar=a

This would allow the kreezer to open when backed against a wall, and still have the tap tower at the back edge of the freezer, instead of the front. Is this a viable solution? Does anyone know what kind of spring tension would be required for hinges similar to the one's used on the coffee table above to lift an approximately 30 lb. lid? Is there a viable way to mount such hinges since they would have to be mounted on the inside wall of the freezer?

OMG so many questions! My brain is starting to hurt. At least I have a solution for that.

Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live. -- Socrates

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #23
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Badkarmaa, I think I can at least help you a bit with the compressor: think of the compressor as a motor (there is a motor inside of it). Like your car engine, it heats up during operation. Now imagine that you're driving your car, but the radiator is boxed in by foam, wood, whatever you like: the result is that the engine can't expel the extra heat it's generating and so overheats. The same basic concept applies to your compressor; it's generating lots of heat when it runs, and so if you don't let air flow over it it will overheat. Heat is one of the biggest enemies of moving parts, and your compressor is the only moving part in your refrigeration system, so you want to keep it cool. Putting a fan over it increases the airflow, and thus keeps the compressor cooler, which should directly translate to it surviving for longer.

Also, be sure not to cover up the condenser coils in the back of the freezer; doing so will also give you compressor problems (it'll need to work a lot harder to get the same job done).

Hope that helps!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

RadicalEd - Actually, the cooling fan draws air along the outside of the freezer - it's not creating airflow over the compressor. Since I am not covering the back of the freezer, the cooling vents for the compressor area are unobstructed. However, modern chest freezers use the exterior skin of the freezer to radiate heat away from the unit, which is why they all require a certain clearance from obstructions - mine states 3" from the sides in the manual. If there is inadequate ventilation, the compressor will burn out from overuse - not because the compressor itself is getting too hot. Because I am enclosing the front and sides, I want to be sure that the exterior still gets enough ventilation. So the fan I am using is strictly to draw air down the faces of the front and sides of the freezer.

Badkarma - there actually isn't a lot in the way of wiring to be done - I am using a Ranco temp controller, that has two regular electrical outlets. The freezer plugs into one, and the cooling fan into the other. When the temp in the freezer gets too high, the controller powers the outlets and voila - the compressor and fan come on together.

That's an interesting idea on the hinges, but the biggest reason I can see for not doing it is that it would require putting holes in the sides of the freezer, which can rupture cooling lines if you are unlucky enough to hit one. For my project, I am not at all concerned about the weight of the top being too much for the hinges - they are pretty sturdy - but I will certainly have to make a prop to hold it open (like a car hood prop) since the new top is way heavier than the factory springs were ever designed to support.

Maybe the coffee table hinge idea could work if you built a small collar around the top for the freezer to attach the hinges to.

New ideas rock!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 AM   #25
BadKarmaa

Recipes 

Thanks for your input RadicalEd and Jester. I probably should have elaborated a bit on my inquiry though. I understand the reason for the fan, so I guess I'm a bit confused as to what kind of fan (model # and brand for reference? ) and where to put it if I am to draw air over three sides of the kreezer. That said, knowing I don't have to wire it to the compressor and can simply plug it in puts me at ease.

As for the new door hinges....Of course! Why didn't I think of the collar? Dee dee dee.

Can't wait to see some Pic updates of your project Jester!

Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live. -- Socrates

Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

This continues to be a great looking project. Keep it coming!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #27
Jester369

Recipes 

Ok, so here is what I am doing for the cooling. Just FYI, the 1" spacers are not drawn full height - I was just trying to get the details for the venting. They will go all the way up to the lip of the freezer.

The fan pulls air from the duct box, and exhausts out the bottom. The spacers are what the exterior plywood will be attached to, and create 7 flows of air down the face of the freezer through the duct openings. Not shown, but inside the duct box, there is are dividers that distribute the fans capacity based on the area being cooled - basically, it pulls more air from the front, where there is a greater area to cool, than from the sides. As this thing comes together, I will be taking lots of photos to go with the 3D drawings.

I can get you the model/manuf info on the fan - it's at home somewhere. I can tell you that I got it from McMaster.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #28
BadKarmaa

Recipes 

Default duct box

Hey Jester. Just another thought......what were you planning to use to make the duct box? I was thinking plywood, but that would increase the weight even more. I've been running through Lowe's and Home Depot's inventory in my head and I don't remember ever seeing sheets of plastic. That said, I might be able to work out a system using PVC. Good thinking on the duct box though. What else is floating around in the genious mind of The Jester?

Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #29
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

there is acrylic and lexan at HD and Lowes

I'm back!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #30
Jester369

Recipes 

I was thinking of using Luan - it's less than 1/4 inch and really light. Not as messy as plastic, either.

Quick Reply