Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer/Ferm Chamber in one

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My thought was to have even heating on all sides - sure, it's close to 100w, but it will heat evenly and shouldn't be on very long. It's nowhere near hot enough to scorch or burn anything. If anything, I think it will run for less time than a shorter section, meaning the area of the carboy directly next to the element won't get as hot as if you were running a smaller piece that had to heat the entire volume.

Regarding the thermowell - I have two carboys but one controller. Assuming I'm fermenting at identical temperatures, and assuming both carboys have essentially the same volume in them, I would only need one thermowell. You need one thermowell / temperature probe per controller, and you can wire up that controller to heat as many carboys as you want as long as you want them all heated the same.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I agree... seems like a valid point on the heat tape.

With the thermowell, I was suggesting that one could theoretically ferment ale AND lager in this setup because the keezer is set to serving temps which COULD be laggering temps as well. You would need to have 2 fermentation controllers to ferment separate temp batches.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply