Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   Keezer dehumidifer question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-dehumidifer-question-219941/)

EZFrag 01-23-2011 06:02 PM

Keezer dehumidifer question
Hey....Would like your opinion. I bought a dehumidifier for my keezer. This is it.


Anyway, I put this in so I wouldn't have to defrost my manual freezer as often. Problem is it only has a 16 oz reservoir. I'm planning on putting a 5 gallon better boy in the keezer for the drip tray. I was hoping to tap this reservoir and run a drain tube to the reservoir. The problem is at our local Lowes, I couldn't find anything small enough to do this. Do any of you guys have a suggestion?

resslerk 01-23-2011 06:16 PM

Couldn't you just use a small male barbed adapter? They sell them in 1/8" size, which is pretty small. Then add onto that a couple o rings and a nut, or maybe just a nut and a bunch of silicone. That'd cost you about $5.

EZFrag 01-24-2011 10:20 AM

I'm unsure what you mean by a barbed adapter. I thought about a self tapping valve like you do to a waterline for an ice maker, but they are for a pipe. I wouldn't know how to connect it to the side of my dehumidifier. Could you post a picture of this barbed adapter?

EZFrag 01-24-2011 08:18 PM

Anyone else have a suggestion?

thantos 01-24-2011 09:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go, this is how I would do it. I am sure you can find all of these parts at your local hardware store in the plumbing section for probably less then $10.00.

Drill an appropriate size hole in the plastic drip tray that will accommodate the bulkhead adapter. Than slip a brass washer and a rubber washer on the adapter than insert into the drip tray. Than slip a rubber washer and brass washer on the end sticking out of the tray then the backing nut, and tighten being careful not to over tighten and crack the plastic. Then take a piece of 1/4" poly tube and stick in your drain bucket.

The prices in the links are complete bull as it can be pieced together a hell of a lot cheaper than what they show!




Flomaster 01-24-2011 09:48 PM

barb adapter is still way cheaper....

its male iron pipe thread x barb. hook one end up to the barb and the other to your drip tray and call it a day.

plus an some o rings and washer and nut and your styling


lotbfan 01-24-2011 10:00 PM

I would also go with a male threaded to barb fitting, drill a hole in the plastic just slightly larger than the threads, place a washer on the outside, push fitting through from the outside, add a nylon washer, then a rubber washer, then a nut (preferably nylon). Connect a hose to the barb end and place that in a larger container. This is how I made a drain line for my skimmer on my old reef tank. Here is a example of a plastic barb adapter, you can also get them with a built in elbow on the barb end to angle it down if that is a better configuration for you.



EZFrag 01-25-2011 11:52 AM

Yeah..I looked at the barbed connector at Lowes. I couldn't find a nut to place on the back to tighten with. They had pipe threads on it.

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.