Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Collar Temp Controller Wiring & Fan Wiring Questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Keezer Collar Temp Controller Wiring & Fan Wiring Questions.

I've searched and looked at hundreds of keezer build threads, both on here and the rest of the web and I can't seem to find a decent pic or diagram of the wiring layout for how folks who have their Temp controllers mounted on the front of the collar.

Like this one;

I'm not talking about HOW to wire the temp controller, but where folks run the power cord coming into the unit, and also where you locate the outlet to plug the freezer into the controller itself.

Do folks typically mount an outlet on the back wall of the collar across from the controller?

Also those of you who have some sort of fan blowing inside the chest freezer, how do you have that hooked up or wired?

If you've got any pictures of your wiring placement that would be helpful.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious or something since in all the threads I've looked at with front mounted control units no one seems to bother posting pics of where they run the wires.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Revvy

Recipes 

*Crickets*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

pgrebus Likes This 
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

On mine that I'm building the controller is outside from the freezer. I'm building a full bar but for what your asking....

The controller just splices into the thermostat of the freezer and becomes the new thermostat. So I would assume there would be a pig tail coming in through the back side of the collar down to th compressor and thermostat.

Other than that the freezer just plugs into the wall as normal. Nothing has changed but now there is a digital thermostat.

Hope I understood what your asking right.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I mounted an electrical outlet to the back side of the keezer base. I spliced an outdoor 14 guage extension cord into the love controller and ran the cords (both input from the wall outlet and output to the electrical receptacle) around the bottom inside of the collar and out a hole in the back of the collar. I've had comments that the condensation from inside the keezer might cause later problems so I mounted an electrical box around the back of the temperature controller, used a wire nuts, and lots of electrical tape to try to protect the wires as much as possible.

Here are links to maybe helpful images in my build album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383656940/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383629882/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383620094/in/set-72157630158495118/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80546110@N07/7383641584/in/set-72157630158495118/

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittygouv30 View Post
I mounted an electrical outlet to the back side of the keezer base. I spliced an outdoor 14 guage extension cord into the love controller and ran the cords (both input from the wall outlet and output to the electrical receptacle) around the bottom inside of the collar and out a hole in the back of the collar.
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for all week.

Now all I need to know is how folks are doing their fans. Though what I might just do is run the powercord from the fan through the same hole that the power cords for the controller are on.

I too was planning to box in mine to prevent condensation.

Now, did you seal up this hole in some way?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Now all I need to know is how folks are doing their fans. Though what I might just do is run the powercord from the fan through the same hole that the power cords for the controller are on.

Yea I just used adhesive foam weather stripping from Wally world to fill the hole. It puffed up nicely to block all air flow in/out. I can't feel any cold air coming out the back. I don't have a fan yet but yea that will go right through the same hole.

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
adamensis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

This is similar to what I did as well, although I used the STC-1000. I also ran the cord powering that fan through the same hole. The controller is also boxed. The wiring is not as neat and pretty as others on the inside, but you'd never know that from the outside.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have 2 computer fans in mine. 1 for the coffin and one near the bottom of the keezer to circulate air up. I ran my wiring for that through the same hole I cut for my temp controller wiring, then filled that hole with expandable foam.

What size is your collar? It looks pretty tall. You might want to think about lining it with closed cell foam insulation.

In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

SUBSCRIBED so I can drool over smittygouv30's pictures.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
trent_77590
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am working on mine right now and plan to install a NO momentary switch for the fan. When the door is closed the fan will be on but when opened it will turn off. I'm going to drill a hole in the top of the collar for the switch to sit in and probablt drill a smaller hole further down to route the wires

Quick Reply