Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer collar glue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
jOitheboat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ha. Wish I would've read this a couple hours ago. I already had silicone but thought it might not quite do it so I went and bought a toothpaste tube of liquid nails. Attached collar to freezer about 4 hours ago. It's already a very strong bond. I bought the little tube because the caulking gun size liquid nails was labelled differently and said it was not recommended for plastic.

Beer brewers shall sell no beer to the citizens, unless it be three weeks old; to the foreigner they may knowingly sell younger beer. – German Beer Law, 1466.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gorilla Glue for the miter joints, silicone caulk for the seal.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Titebond is the best for wood/wood connections, it is less messy then Gorilla Glue. For wood/plastic silicone or Goop works great.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #14
schmoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Well, I suspect my freezer will die long before I ever have to worry about the holding power of the Liquid Nails on the collar. If not, I owe you a Coke!
I thought the same thing but a year later, I was trying to get the liquid nails off of the oak. Turns out some piano wire and prying the wood slightly makes quick work of the liquid nails.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoe View Post
I thought the same thing but a year later, I was trying to get the liquid nails off of the oak. Turns out some piano wire and prying the wood slightly makes quick work of the liquid nails.
Are you gunning for a free soda too?!?!?

Hey, if it comes off it comes off. It's a pretty common way of attaching a collar. Two years in and no problems so far. Of course, the silicon bead I ran on the inside of the collar to seal it would also have to fail at the same time. I'm certainly not going to hack it all to pieces at this point based on anecdotal evidence that it is doomed.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
schmoe

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Are you gunning for a free soda too?!?!?

Hey, if it comes off it comes off. It's a pretty common way of attaching a collar. Two years in and no problems so far. Of course, the silicon bead I ran on the inside of the collar to seal it would also have to fail at the same time. I'm certainly not going to hack it all to pieces at this point based on anecdotal evidence that it is doomed.
Not at all. I just figure in the future if someone stumbles across this thread after their chest freezer dies, they will know one way to get the liquid nails apart from the wood.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did not use glue. Instead I added a lip to the front and back of the collar that extends about 6" in the back and 3 in the front. It's a tight fit and it is not going to move anywhere. I did add a bead of caulk to all joints. It is airtight.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoe View Post
Not at all. I just figure in the future if someone stumbles across this thread after their chest freezer dies, they will know one way to get the liquid nails apart from the wood.
Ah, I misread your original post. I thought you were saying you removed the collar from a working freezer because you had an issue with the Liquid Nails.

Personally, I'll probably just take off all the hardware and build another collar if that happens. Not sure I'm ambitious enough to rip off and recycle the old one!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am going to put the collar on this weekend. Did you all put something heavy on top of the collar to press it down or just set it in place and let the glue do its work?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
b-boy
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I put some weights on mine for a day or so.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Quick Reply