Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Collar the Coastarine Way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keezer Collar the Coastarine Way

I know there are very good keezer collar instructions out there, but I wanted to make my own and post it. Everyone has a different set of tools available to them, etc, and this was what I decided would work best for me. Maybe the way I did something will give you a new idea.

For wood, I chose 1x4 doug fir. I looked at cheap 2x4's but I realized that the really nice stuff was only like 8$ for an 8' length, and I only needed two. It would suck to build a collar out of wood that wasn't straight.

To cut it I needed a mitre box and I didn't want to spend much. This mitre box has cam-style pegs to lock the piece in place, it came with the saw, and I think it was about 16$ at lowes. Some sandpaper will also come in handy to clean up those cuts. Remember to measure twice and cut once!

Once you cut your pieces it will be time to drill the holes for the shanks. My shanks called for a 1" hole and I believe that is standard. I used a spade bit for this. Remember to drill a 1/8" pilot hole and make sure to start the hole on the face that will be the outside. There are different techniques for using a spade bit, but if you just drill straight through there will likely be some damage to the bottom face when the bit breaks through. In this case I really don't care.

To bond the wood together and to hold the collar to the lid I used liquid nails heavy duty. This stuff is seriously strong after 48 hours. The wood will break before the bond does. I think they also sell liquid nails in smaller tubes that don't require a caulking gun.

To hold the corner in place while the liquid nails set, I used this 90 degree clamp. Also from lowes for 20$. This thing is really handy. Also, you'll want a really nice flat plane to set the wood against. I took a risk and used my kitchen table with a sheet of paper to keep the liquid nails off of it. It worked out well.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 01-24-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I made two "L"s and then joined them by using the 90 clamp at one corner and packing tape to hold the other corner together.

Next came time to paint. I used this stuff. You could also stain the wood. Personally I like the convenience of the rattle can and my fridge isn't in brand new condition anyway.

At this point it was time to attach the collar to the lid, and so I pulled the sealing strip off the lid, and found that the plastic liner was kinda keeping the wood from sitting flush. I ripped out the plasic liner, and as a result I no longer have a light in the keezer. I really don't care. Also it doesn't look as nice under the lid. Just styrofoam. Liquid nails did the trick after that.

To make a seal under the collar I used this stuff from home depot.

I don't know if you can tell from this picture but it is made in a double row and meant to be pulled apart. I chose to leave it in the double row which made it 3/4" wide (perfect). It has self adhesive which seemed pretty strong, but not wanting to risk it falling off, I used a staple gun in between the raised portions to hold it in place. I cut it at a 45 so it made the corner the same way the wood does.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Last edited by Coastarine; 01-25-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I measured and drilled for the hinge holes and used 5mm hex head bolts. I was having trouble in that I could see light under the seal when I closed it, but do not fear until you install the faucets. 6 faucets and shanks was plenty of weight to make a good seal.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

really nice job. So you attached the collar to the lid? Very nice, and you got them all tapped , huh?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 01-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
MSUConrad
Recipes 

Nice job, you will love having the stout faucet!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
swatchie
Recipes 

Very nice write up. Really liked how you used all manual tools. What alot of people have in their kitchen. If I ever make a Keezer, will be following the same steps

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How did you do the hinges in back?

Can you get a snap of that?

Also, how big of a freezer was that?

Nice looking. I like the binder covers for what's on tap.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 564 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Very nice looking rig Jon.

I was going to suggest moving the taps off to the right side to keep them out of the way when you're schlepping kegs in and out...and then I realized the collar was part of the lid...

Nicely done.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Yep, I made this DIY because I did it using very little special/power tools for other people like me.

I'll get a picture of the hinges later. Right now I'm enjoying a glass of Rogue Old Crustacean Barleywine style ale from 2007.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

As you can tell, plenty of room for all 6 kegs, both cylinders on the compressor hump, and two cold crash carboys. Maytag for 100$ on craigslist.

Another point about the lid light is that I would have had to figure out a way to get the little switch that tells the light to come on (lid open/shut) to work again.

Also, most shanks I've seen are the kind like from NB where you need a nut and washer and hose barb fitting. My shanks are from the beverage factory and have the barb already on them. All one piece, no fooling around with potential leaks. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...s/SHANK3.shtml

Last edited by Coastarine; 01-25-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply