New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer build questions




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
HH60gunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 387
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keezer build questions

Ok so I have a chest freezer that I would like to turn into a keezer. I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a 4 tap keezer. How much am I looking at spending to get this setup? Is there a general parts list anywhere for a 4 tap keezer? I googled it, but only got sites that sell keezers.


I imagine I'll need:

- 4 port manifold
- air lines
- beer lines
- temp controller
- 2x6's for a collar
- C02 tank (how big should I go?)(is 5lb tank enough or do I need to go bigger?)
Also, should I store the C02 tank in the keezer, or drill through the collar and set it outside?

- Clamps
- Fittings for the corny kegs
- Regulators I imagine I'll need 4 of them

Anything else I'm missing?
Also how much do you think all of this would cost me?



__________________
HH60gunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
HH60gunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 387
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Also do you think it would be cheaper to buy a complete kit, or do you think it would be cheaper to purchase each part separate? Also where is a good site to get kegging stuff from?



__________________
HH60gunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 2,133
Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

to be honest probably in the neighborhood of $300ish.

I bought a 2 tap kit from www.kegcowboy.com it ran me about $250 I go the perlick 525SS faucets because I hear the stock one like to stick and break.

http://www.kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=135

I got the 5# tank as well.

for my temp controller I picked up the ebay fish tank one for $25ish

oh you need kegs too if you don't already have some.


-=Jason=-

__________________
Flomaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
billtzk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,627
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH60gunner View Post
Ok so I have a chest freezer that I would like to turn into a keezer. I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a 4 tap keezer. How much am I looking at spending to get this setup? Is there a general parts list anywhere for a 4 tap keezer? I googled it, but only got sites that sell keezers.


I imagine I'll need:

- 4 port manifold
- air lines
- beer lines
- temp controller
- 2x6's for a collar
- C02 tank (how big should I go?)(is 5lb tank enough or do I need to go bigger?)
Also, should I store the C02 tank in the keezer, or drill through the collar and set it outside?

- Clamps
- Fittings for the corny kegs
- Regulators I imagine I'll need 4 of them

Anything else I'm missing?
Also how much do you think all of this would cost me?
Store the tank outside the keezer. Drill a hole through the wood and install a flare bulkhead fitting like this one: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_46&produ cts_id=2262 And you'll need some white nylon flare fitting washers and flare swivel nuts and barbs. Even if you use barb fittings in the rest of your keezer, it's nice to have flare fittings on the bulkhead to make it easy to connect and disconnect your CO2 tank.

Get a 20 lb CO2 tank if you can. It's nice to have two if you want to spend the bucks for them, maybe one 20 lb and one 10 lb, so that you don't have to be in a hurry to exchange or refill when one runs out. Or two 10 lb tanks. In my opinion, the 5 lb tanks run out too fast, and 10 lb tanks are not much more expensive.

You will need to buy a primary regulator for your tank if it doesn't come with one. You won't need secondary regulators unless you want different pressure going to each keg. If you have secondary regulators, you wouldn't necessarily need air distributors. But you can certainly combine the two.

For example, you could run primary to an air distributor (manifold) and then out to all your kegs at the same pressure. If you get one secondary, then you can split two different pressures to any number of kegs by putting air distributors downstream from your regulators. With two secondaries, you can have three pressures. Three secondaries will give you four pressures. I have an 8 tap keezer with a bank of three secondary regulators. Each secondary goes to a three-way air distributor. So I can keep 9 kegs at three different pressures.

If you can get away with running all kegs at the same pressure, it's cheaper to just buy a 4-way distributor and run them all off your primary regulator.

Don't forget gas in and gas out quick disconnects for your kegs.
__________________

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

billtzk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
kmat123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 320
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I'd also recommend a 20# CO2 tank unless you enjoy going and getting a smaller tank filled regularly.

__________________

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

kmat123 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 2,133
Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmat123 View Post
I'd also recommend a 20# CO2 tank unless you enjoy going and getting a smaller tank filled regularly.
so how many pints can I pour with a 5# tank?

I wouldn't mind filling every 2-3 months, but filling every month would be a PITA.

-=Jason=-
__________________
Flomaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
oteixeira
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Middlesex, NC
Posts: 100
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

quoted from kegworks.com:

Most of our kits come with a 5-pound steel CO2 Tank. With this size CO2 Tank, you can serve about 5-7 half kegs of beer. Welding supply companies, fire extinguisher supply companies, and gas dealers can fill CO2 tanks. Look under "Gas" in the yellow pages in your local phone book for dealers near you. More info

and:

How much beer is in a keg?
How much beer is in your keg is up to you!

Breweries no longer make whole kegs; they stopped about 35 years ago because they were just too heavy to lug around. Your options are the following:

* 1/2 keg: Holds 15.5 gallons, which is 7 cases of beer

so 5 1/2 kegs is 15 corny kegs....per co2 tank.

__________________
oteixeira is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
oteixeira
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Middlesex, NC
Posts: 100
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

BTW,

I dunno about other folks, but 15 corny's would last me forever. I guess I need more drinking buddies...

Orlando

__________________
oteixeira is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
cruelkix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 513
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
quoted from kegworks.com:

Most of our kits come with a 5-pound steel CO2 Tank. With this size CO2 Tank, you can serve about 5-7 half kegs of beer. Welding supply companies, fire extinguisher supply companies, and gas dealers can fill CO2 tanks. Look under "Gas" in the yellow pages in your local phone book for dealers near you. More info

and:

How much beer is in a keg?
How much beer is in your keg is up to you!

Breweries no longer make whole kegs; they stopped about 35 years ago because they were just too heavy to lug around. Your options are the following:

* 1/2 keg: Holds 15.5 gallons, which is 7 cases of beer

so 5 1/2 kegs is 15 corny kegs....per co2 tank.
There is no way 1, 5# tank covers 15 corny kegs. Or at least not in my experience. 5-7 sounds accurate. 10 tops. I force carb, so maybe thats where the diff is.

I have a 5# tank for my 4 tap keezer (hold 8 kegs total). I just bought a 20# tank cuz the 5# was starting to get annoying. Outside or inside doesnt matter, but outside doesnt take up space. I moved mine outside recently to get more space.
__________________
cruelkix is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
gregger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 377
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I noticed those of you who do your builds you make a wooden collar. What's the purpose? Are you removing the top door off the freezer, adding the collar, then placing the door on top of that? Is it solely to give you a few extra inches on the inside?



__________________
gregger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Keezer Build specialized DIY Projects 76 02-01-2013 01:14 PM
Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829 Jersh DIY Projects 39 10-28-2010 12:43 AM
made some progress on my bar build/ keezer build 802VermontHomebrew DIY Projects 17 08-22-2010 01:20 PM
The keezer build is finally finished! Keezer porn attached. GRHunter DIY Projects 20 06-05-2010 03:38 AM
Need help with first keezer build garycan157 DIY Projects 7 02-07-2010 06:25 PM