Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Build Kenmore 8.8 cu ft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
scutiger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keezer Build Kenmore 8.8 cu ft

So I got a system back during Christmas that included 4 ball lock kegs, CO2 tank, and all that, and I've gone this long without having a way of getting them cold and serving them... until now.

A couple weeks ago I pulled the trigger and bought a black Kenmore 8.8 cu ft chest freezer from Sears while it was on sale and I'm just now getting around to starting the conversion to a keezer.

I started by building a frame out of 2x6's and mounting 3 inch casters. This raises the freezer by just over 6 inches.

I'll be keeping it in the garage for the time being until I can find a reasonable location to keep it in the house. Here it is all plugged up and working, attached to the STC1000 temperature controller.

I haven't ordered faucets or shanks yet because I'm waiting till I get some more cash to drop, but I'm planning on 4 Perlick 525ss faucets with stainless shanks. But until then, I'm just going to use the keezer as it sits now until I get the rest of the supplies.

So right now I've got the keezer running and holding temperature nicely, so I've loaded it up with a couple cases and two kegs that I've filled and have had sitting waiting for this moment. I'll hook up the gas system in the next day or so after I make sure the temperature is where I like it and have some draft beer by the end of the week hopefully.

Here she is filled with 2 cases of a recent German Hefe, a keg of Simcoe IPA, and a keg of American Amber:

I'll add more to this once I get supplies and do some more work over the next couple of weeks, but here's some more details about the plan until then:

The keezer has plenty of room for my 4 kegs, it should hold 5, and a sixth could fit on the hump with the right size collar. I'm going to be keeping the gas system inside and have a 4 way gas manifold that I'll attach to the inside of an 8 inch collar I've got in the works. Stay tuned for more over the next couple weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

good luck with the build

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Poppop
Recipes 

I have been thinking about getting the same freezer, so will be interested to follow your project. Good luck with it. But I really like your bottle caps. Are those Clemson Tiger paws?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
scutiger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Yes they are, I got them last year to put on a batch and gave them out at tailgates during football season. They came from bottlemark.com, you can upload any image you want and have them printed out on a batch of bottle caps, a little pricey, but cool idea as a novelty.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
Poppop
Recipes 

Well, I am Clemson grad and they caught my eye. I used to bottle everything, but then got set up with kegs and I don't think I have bottled anything since. But those would make great gifts. I think I'll order some. Thanks - and good luck with your project.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
scutiger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Just wanted to add a quick update to this since it's been slow going working on this. The keezer is working well, I've been pouring drafts out of picnic taps now for about a week.

I've built a decorative base around the base to cover up the wood. I made it out of some pre-primed baseboard molding pieces from Lowes that I sprayed with Rustoleum's hammered black spray paint which matches the keezer sides perfectly. I'll post a picture of this tomorrow when I get a chance.

The biggest news is that I'll be ordering taps and shanks this weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to get this whole thing finished over the next two weeks.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
scutiger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Here's the photo I promised, could be better, but I couldn't get anymore lighting:

Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
scutiger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Another update this week. I've ordered the faucets and shanks, four perlick 525ss with stainless shanks, that should be here by Friday. In the meantime, I've started staining the collar that I've cut out of a nice pine 1x8. I'm using Cabot stain in Red Mahogany. I just finished putting the second coat on, and I think one more should be perfect before I coat the whole thing in a clear semi-gloss protective urethane. Also, I've been searching around and managed to find a couple nice commercial tap handles that I'll be using instead of the black plastic ones.

Before the second coat:

Tap handles, more on their way:

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I recently built a keezer with this unit, and here's my advice:

1) you can easily remove the weather stripping from the lid. I did that, then silicone caulked my collar to the lid, and staple-gunned the weather stripping to the underside of the collar. So the collar goes up with the lid. Easier to add/remove kegs. But you have to slide the unit away from the wall and use a stick to support the lid when open.

2) be careful about faucet placement, because the lid has a lip that juts out. So if the faucet is under it and too high, your tap handle will hit that lip. I didn't realize this until it was too late.

3) I couldn't get more than 4 5-gal kegs on the floor, not sure how you could. But even with my 4" collar, I can easily get 4 5-gal kegs, the gas tank, and 2 3-gal kegs on the hump.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
scutiger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the input. I've been going back and forth on how to do the hinge, but I think I'm leaning to the was you described. Good catch on the lid interfering with the handles, I'll have to check on that before I go any further. And I only have 4 kegs, so I know they fit on the floor and it looked like I might be able to fit a 5th but I wasn't sure.

I can't wait to have this all put together and functioning, should be done this weekend. The only thing left to buy is a piece of insulated sheathing to go on the inside on the collar.

Quick Reply