Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
Inspired by the how to build collar for a keezer I built this project for a friend. He wanted to have 4 taps with in his mancave with the keezer in his garage. The taps are 12 feet from the keezer so this is what I designed and built for him.

177.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

Love the setup so far. Question for you guys. What are you going to use to help keep the beer cold while running from the keezer to the tap?

Love the setup so far. Question for you guys. What are you going to use to help keep the beer cold while running from the keezer to the tap?

Blower motor is now mounted in the keezer. It blows the cold air into the cold box behind the taps. I'll show more pics as I finish this project up tonight.

Blower motor is now mounted in the keezer. It blows the cold air into the cold box behind the taps. I'll show more pics as I finish this project up tonight.

I hope your returning the air and its sealed properly? If your just blowing all the cold air out of the freezer its going to run 24/7 and burn out in an instant.

I hope your returning the air and its sealed properly? If your just blowing all the cold air out of the freezer its going to run 24/7 and burn out in an instant.

Of course. I built a lid and insulated the cold box behind the taps. The box sealed up very nicely. There are two pipes running from the freezer to the cold box the supply and return. The schedule 40 pipe is also going to be wrapped in insulation.

I have a similar project I would like to do but go from the basement to the kitchen. Very curious to see how this turns out. Nice build.

I am also curious as to how well the fan(s) keep the lines chilled. I have been considering something similar.

This is an excerpt from the Micromatic web site:

Maximum Distance and Blower Size
The system length is limited to a 5' maximum distance due to the small size of blowers that can be used within residential grade refrigerators (or freezers). These small blowers have a cubic foot per minute blow rate of (12 to 15 CFM) which is not sufficient for an air cooled system greater then 5' in length. - See more at: http://www.micromatic.com/beer-ques...efrigerator-aid-419.html#sthash.1YxDtaAN.dpuf

Great looking build by the way.

The blower isn't from micromatic. It is from grainger and is rated at 146 cfm. I'll be checking the temps in the keezer and the trunk line tonight to compare them. The air flow seems very sufficent from what it felt like last night.

I like this build, looks better than some of the commercial set-up's. I think it should work well. Even if it didn't, running a chilled water line would be easy. I'm a big fan of sanke kegs, they are bullet proof.

Oh yeah. That is a pretty big fan. It should move plenty air.

I might be concerned with the heat generated in a fridge, but your keezer should be able to deal with it.

Thanks for all the pics. Keep em coming.

Had the thermostat set @ 38 deg. Keezer was 46 and lines were around 48. Turned the therm down to 24 setting and keezer today is 34 and lines are 36. Setting at 26 on the thermostat and that should keep the keezer at 36 and lines at 38 deg, perfect pouring temps.

I don't envy you dropping 15.5s into a chest freezer! I thought about putting a sliding chain hoist on the ceiling above my keezer for this. Attach to each handle, hoist it up, slide it over the keezer and lower it down. I haven't seen this done before, but it seems like it would work. Very nice build though! Thanks for sharing!

Have you tried stacking (in offset) sanke fat 1/4 BBL's you may be able to get 4 in there. And yes lifting a full fat 1/4 sanke makes me think I'm going to break something.

Joe is already thinking of doing what you suggested. 150 lb kegs are a two man job for a keezer.

Joe's probably going to add the tall Yuengling ale 1/4's. There are two sixtels and two 1/2s in it now. The one sixtel is at an angle on the step.

What size freezer? I am thinking I might move over to a keezer from a fridge at some point and on the prowl for a cheap craigslist freezer but unsure of what size I would need. I only want to do 4 taps, maybe 5 at some point but thinking a 7 cu ft would be the right size? I don't have a ton of room so a 9 might be too large?

The system was installed in a 15 cu ft. If your taps are coming direct out of the collar a smaller one probably would work fine. I'm guessing for a remote tap setup like I did you might want to go bigger becuase of the fan motor size and the heat it may generate. If your run is less than 5 ft you can use a fan that would be a bit smaller in size.

This is great!
Hoping to do the exact same setup from my basement to my kitchen.
Unfortunately only have a 6.8cuft freezer to use, but am only thinking two tap lines.

What did you use for the fan?

THANKS FOR POSTING this!

Do you plan on piping the drain back into the wall and out the other side? Just curious, looks great!

Originally planned on that but the owner is fine with it the way it is. Now he wants me too add 3 taps on the collar. He wants 7 sixtels now, said he's hooked on the variety of beer, none of us here would understand what he means would we:)

Back