Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
tagheuer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
How much do you think it would be, parts and all, to build that controller? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. Is there much of a difference between that one and the cheap analog controller? Besides the fact that I built it, and it looks pretty cool.
I would estimate it will cost around $40 to build one. If you have a spare computer power cord laying around, then you can save around 20% in total.

Just be sure that you order the right temp controller. I ordered mine from this seller:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

When checkout, don't forget to specify the input voltage is 120VAC to the seller.

It is not difficult at all to wire and build. Just follow step by step shown in the link above and you should be ok. Other forum members are very helpful when you have any questions or need helps.

I'm not too sure how it measures to other commercial temp controllers, since I have none to compare. But I think it won't be much different, with respect to regulating the freezer temperature. Both should be able do their job pretty well. Maybe the difference is in accuracy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Honestly for $40 to build one... just pay $50 and get order a Johnson or other similar brand. I got a digital Johnson temp controller already wired on the HBT classifieds for $35shipped!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb
Honestly for $40 to build one... just pay $50 and get order a Johnson or other similar brand. I got a digital Johnson temp controller already wired on the HBT classifieds for $35shipped!
The digital controller is better than a Johnson or ranco analog style controllers.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The two gang box and recepticle were a couple of bucks each, the face plate was a buck. The controller was about 25. An extension cord may run 6 or 8, but you probably have something around the house that you can use. I bought the pre wired Johnson controller for $75 for my ferm chamber. If I had known how much cheaper and how easy this was I'd never have bought the Johnson.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1236 Times on 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
The digital controller is better than a Johnson or ranco analog style controllers.
I've never seen a Ranco analog controller even mentioned here. They're all digital...

Cheers!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

any news on this build? Are you doing a collar, tower or a coffin?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #17
borovy3488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas
any news on this build? Are you doing a collar, tower or a coffin?
There is some news, actually. I have adjusted the freezers internal thermostat to around 40°f. I ordered all the parts from kegconnection, and will get the rest from Lowes/ HD tomorrow. I plan on working on it this weekend, and will try to take some pics. I am doing a collar build.

The freezer is white. I plan on using either 1x6 or 2x6 boards. Is there a size or type of lumber that is better than the other? Also, what kind of stain would you recommend?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Jeebas

Recipes 

Quote:
There is some news, actually. I have adjusted the freezers internal thermostat to around 40°f. I ordered all the parts from kegconnection, and will get the rest from Lowes/ HD tomorrow. I plan on working on it this weekend, and will try to take some pics. I am doing a collar build.

The freezer is white. I plan on using either 1x6 or 2x6 boards. Is there a size or type of lumber that is better than the other? Also, what kind of stain would you recommend?
I think most people would recommend something in the hardwood side of things - like red oak. I went with pine, and did a lighter stain. From the way that I understand it, softwoods like pine or cedar don't take stain as well as most hardwoods, so you may be limited to lighter stain.

As far brands I did Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to use on the pine to open up the pores to accept stain easier, 2 coats of Minwax Polyshades (combination stain and polyurethane) and 2-3 coats of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
borovy3488
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was thinking of using poplar. Price is a consideration on this as well though. What would be a good hardwood that I should be able to get for a decent price? Is there any advantage of using 2x6 over 1x6?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Jeebas

Recipes 

Quote:
I was thinking of using poplar. Price is a consideration on this as well though. What would be a good hardwood that I should be able to get for a decent price? Is there any advantage of using 2x6 over 1x6?
Poplar would be much cheaper than something like oak.

Folks who made collar builds could speak to it better - but I would use 1x6 rather than 2x6 - less to cut through and possibly mess up joints if you do anything other than a standard butt joint. Also you're gonna need to insulate the inside of the collar anyways. It also depends on the shanks you get, you'll have way more clearance on them going through 1x6 rather than 2x6.

Quick Reply