Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keezer Build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
borovy3488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keezer Build

I'm trying to piece together a keezer. As of now, all I have is four pin lock kegs and a co2 regulator. I have $400 from Christmas, and am going to use all of it for this build. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up my freezer tomorrow. It is $50, so that leaves me with $350. Is this enough for a decent three keg set up that can force carb?

I know that I want Perlick faucets, but other than that nothing has to be specific. The kits on kegconnection look good, and I like that they assemble before shipping. But, all of their kits come with a regulator, something I already have. I sent them an email asking for a custom kit, we'll see what they say.

How would you set this up? I'm clueless on what matters in a temp controller. Is there a certain brand I should get? What do you guys recommend?

__________________
borovy3488 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Rundownhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Kentucky
Posts: 331
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.

__________________
Rundownhouse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
borovy3488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse
If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.
I found a new 5 pound co2 tank at a local place for $45. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?
__________________
borovy3488 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 9,883
Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
I found a new 5 pound co2 tank at a local place for $45. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?
This one. In that epic thread you'll note many folks have had success, while others not so much...

Cheers!
__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
tagheuer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 52
Default

If you are a little bit handy, then this one is a good choice for a temperature control.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

I built one myself, but with different casing. As per the above link, the total build will be roughly $40. You can even save a bit if you have some of the parts laying around (i.e. power cord from computer, wire nuts)

__________________
tagheuer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
borovy3488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer
If you are a little bit handy, then this one is a good choice for a temperature control.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

I built one myself, but with different casing. As per the above link, the total build will be roughly $40. You can even save a bit if you have some of the parts laying around (i.e. power cord from computer, wire nuts)
I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before. Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.
The guy I'm getting the freezer from is getting a little iffy now though. Are there any decent deals on new freezers that can hold three kegs and a 5lb co2 tank that you guys know of?

Thanks for all the help!!
__________________
borovy3488 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 9,883
Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Default

Your local Craig's List is a good place to look. Here's a couple of new, small chest freezers going for small money with a warranty, and here's a large used chest freezer going for $50...

Cheers!

__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
tagheuer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before.
If you never do any wiring before, then I wouldn't suggest building one. Unless you have a buddy / neighbor / family, whom is familiar with high voltage wiring and able to assist you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.
To start, probably it's not a bad idea to just adjust the freezer temp directly. For me, I chose to go with the aquarium temperature controller, since I'm more comfortable in building one then messing around with the freezer mechanical thermostat.
__________________
tagheuer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #9
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 1,579
Liked 373 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Default

If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done )

__________________

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
CGVT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
borovy3488
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT
If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done )
How much do you think it would be, parts and all, to build that controller? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. Is there much of a difference between that one and the cheap analog controller? Besides the fact that I built it, and it looks pretty cool.
__________________
borovy3488 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools