Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > keezer/bar build... upright??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default keezer/bar build... upright??

With a small chest freezer, is it possible to stand it on its side, so I could use the door as side opening instead of a coffin top? I know the space for kegs would reduce, but I am thinking it might make a better base to build a bar around if it is standing tall.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I wouldn't think so. Not sure what this does to the compressor, as well as the fact the heat often dissipates through the walls of the freezer. If there is condensation inside as well that may freeze/melt, it would leak through the door.

They do make freezers that are upright, like a fridge. You'd be better off converting one of those, but I believe they are more expensive, and there may not be as many older models on Craigslist.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not positive about freezers but with a fridge you should not tip it on it's side as it causes problems witht he compressor adn the freon. I know when you do tip a fridge on it's side you are supposed to wait several hours after you tip it on it's bottom again before turning it back on. I would think there wiould be the same issues with a freezer but I don't know the specifics of why you can't do it.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I know with refrigerators you aren't suppose to lay them down.... so my guess would be the same rule applies to freezers.... if they are the chest type then they should remain in that position.

I don't know that for sure.... it would just be my first guess. I'm sure someone with definitive knowledge will chime in

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It won't work, as everyone else stated the compressor needs to be in the position the freezer is designed to work. If you tip the freezer the compressor will be sideways and the oil will get into the coolant lines.

You are better off buying a fridge without a freezer or an upright freezer with removable shelves.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Will have to adjust my plan

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Quick Reply