Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kal Clone and New Brewshed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
anonymousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Last night's progress
- REWIRED amp and volt meters (see note below)
- wired pump switches, indicator lights, and receptacles

Notes - after working with all the small (22awg) wire for the Amp and Volt meters, and having it have to go past the door hinge - i thought, i have a crap ton of cat 5 cable around, i have 8 wires to run, and theres 8 in cat 5 - lets make this a LOT cleaner. so thats what i did. (didnt think to grab a pic - i'll do that later)

Tonight hopefully i'll get the brains (PIDs) wired up.

The 220v is getting put in the garage this weekend. That wont be the final place - it will soon be going to the new brewhouse in its own building, but i want 220v in the garage so i can run tests and brew if needed before the brewhouse is completed (that thing is going to be a whole 'nother project in itself)

I have to say - if you're thinking about going electric - but scared about the wiring etc - this kit is the way to go. I am right at home doing the fabrication part - but the wiring not so much. This has been great - i set it out, throw the instructions (theelectricbrewery.com) up on the iPad, follow the pictures - easy! And Kal does a great job of explaining the how and why it works as well, so when something doesn't work, you've learned enough of the concept to do some trouble shooting.

I'm loving it!

time - 3 hrs
Total - 31hrs

photo-2013-06-27-07.31.51.jpg  
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #32
SleepyCreekBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Keep up the good work !

Sleepy Creek Brewery, Leesville, NC
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy...743?ref=stream

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #33
grupe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Subscribe

-Graham

Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
mjdonnelly68
Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Nice work.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Francis Albert Sinatra

Old 07-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Not a lot got done this weekend (at least on the control panel itself)
We did run a new 50a 220 circuit to the back of the garage (where it will also be run to the new brewhouse when time comes)
So now i can test and even brew in the garage.

Got a sweet little package in the mail saturday - Kal and Mike at theelectricbrewery.com sent me a PID collar for the Boil PID! Thanks guys!

So now its back to wiring, hope i can get the insides wired up in the next few days - then on to making temp probes and installing heating elements. Maybe with the short work week i'll be able to fire up at least the HLT and work out any bugs between HLT and MLT.

waiting on my new Boil Kettle keg that should be around soon!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #36
Kian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nice Job! I got my DIY control panel kit today and hope to start the build later this week. 4 day weekend because of the 4th of July couldn't have come at a better time. Always good to see someone else building one of the DIY kits - gives that extra boost of confidence that I can tackle this thing. Quick question - in the updated DIY information sheet I got with my kit, it references the placement of the safestart interlock on the backplate opposed to the door in Kal's build instructions. Have you decided if you are going this route and if so, where on the back plate you will be placing it? I didn't see it in your pictures (if I totally missed it in your pics I apologize). I was just curious to see what your plans are. Also, I love the idea of using the cat5 for the amp and volt meter, seems like it will definitely make routing the wires easier and cleaner. If you happen to have any pics of the wiring that would be awesome. Thanks in advance and good luck with the rest of the build.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #37
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Hey Kian -
You're gonna love it. Make sure you check out the building your brewery forum at theelectricbrewery.com. Tons of great info, and Kal answers all the questions that get posted.

I'll get some pics of the wiring up here in the next day or so. But here's what i used cat5 on.
Volt/amp meters (4+4)
Temp Probe
SSR signal

I broke up the temp probe and SSR like this
HLT/MLT = 6 wires (3+3) on one run.
BK and SSR signal (3+4) on another run.
Worked out great. And the colored coding makes it easy to route, no tracing wires back to source, which at this point in the process is damn near impossible.

It's driving the OCD side of my brain insane. But I'm almost done adding wires and then i'll clean everything up!

Progress last night -
All PIDs wired, Timer wired, Alarms wired, signal input to SSRs wired.
Tested all of above.
Made up one temp probe for testing - still need to calibrate, but was able to get signal and demonstrate raising and lowering temp.

Have to wire up the Element receptacles - make the other two temp probes, install elements in kettles, and wire pump lead lines.
Have some vacation stuff coming up, so i wont be running water test on full system as soon as i'd like, but i can see the light!

Time 4hrs
Total 35hrs

photo-2013-07-02-07.26.25.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sub'd!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #39
dougp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How'd you drill the holes for the plugs on the bottom? I used my dremel for the wall-source hole and that was a complete PITA compared to using a step-bit for the LED holes.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #40
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp View Post
How'd you drill the holes for the plugs on the bottom? I used my dremel for the wall-source hole and that was a complete PITA compared to using a step-bit for the LED holes.
Bi-Metal hole saws. DEFINITELY worth the extra cash.
made quick work of them. I bought a Milwaukee set at HD for like $25 i think? Drilled the front holes and bottom receptacle holes with the hole saws. RTD plugs were done with a step bit, front panel holes were cleaned up with a step bit.

used the same size for 220v30a and 120v pump plugs

Quick Reply