Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Just got an upright freezer and have a question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
st0neski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just got an upright freezer and have a question

Just got an older upright freezer off craigslist and plan on converting to a kegerator.

This thing is only 4 feet tall so it would be perfect to have the taps on the top of the freezer and not on the door.

My question is how would I find out where the coolant lines are running? In upright freezers do the lines normally run through the top of it or just all around the sides? Is there anyway of finding this out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is pretty much no more "normal" any more. There are so many manufacturers competing for the dollars. On my chest freezer, I plugged it in from room temp and felt of the walls to decide where the lines ran. The skin will get hot right above the lines. Then there's this:

http://community.livejournal.com/hom...ng/413981.html

I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions. Luck - Dwain

Old 03-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
st0neski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
There is pretty much no more "normal" any more. There are so many manufacturers competing for the dollars. On my chest freezer, I plugged it in from room temp and felt of the walls to decide where the lines ran. The skin will get hot right above the lines. Then there's this:

http://community.livejournal.com/hom...ng/413981.html

I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions. Luck - Dwain
Thanks a lot. That link is great. Dont want to mess up my freezer, hahaha.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Zooom101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is it a chest style freezer, or a does it look like a mini-fridge but gets to freezer temps? If it is chest style, there won't be any lines in the top if you don't see any lines running into the lid. If it opens from the front, there's no telling. I would use the feel method.

Bottled/Kegged: Crappy Bock (my first brew!), IPA, Manny's Octoberfest, Paulaner Hefe-weizen clone (my first all-grain!), Ed's Honey Oatmeal Stout, Dos Equis clone, Pumpkin Spice Ale (my first ruined batch), American Red Ale, Angel Wings from BCS, Edworts Apfelwein, American Wheat from BCS,Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from CYBI, Munich Madness from BCS.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
st0neski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooom101 View Post
Is it a chest style freezer, or a does it look like a mini-fridge but gets to freezer temps? If it is chest style, there won't be any lines in the top if you don't see any lines running into the lid. If it opens from the front, there's no telling. I would use the feel method.

not a chest, its an upright, but a small upright.

I plugged it in earlier and felt around for where it got cold. Looks like its on right in the front where there are lines on the top, so i should be good to drill towards the middle/back

Old 03-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Fletch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Many upright freezers have the evaporator tubing running under the shelves, making them unmovable. I take it you've already checked that? If the evap tubes run in the walls, like a chest freezer, then you need to feel the outer skin with it running to locate the condenser tubes, though they're not likely to run through the top. If it's a frost-free, there will be an evap coil in the back wall, covered by a removable panel, with the condenser either on the back exterior or underneath (like most frost-free refrigerator/freezers) and again there will be no lines running through the top.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
Stickshaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would just drill slowly and carefully through the plastic liner. Then probe around with something to make sure there is nothing ugly in there.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
st0neski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Many upright freezers have the evaporator tubing running under the shelves, making them unmovable. I take it you've already checked that? If the evap tubes run in the walls, like a chest freezer, then you need to feel the outer skin with it running to locate the condenser tubes, though they're not likely to run through the top. If it's a frost-free, there will be an evap coil in the back wall, covered by a removable panel, with the condenser either on the back exterior or underneath (like most frost-free refrigerator/freezers) and again there will be no lines running through the top.
Yeah, check the shelves before I bought it, they are all removable.

THere is no evap coil on the back so I would assume they are lining it somewhere. the evap tubes would create heat right?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am going to be the odd man out and suggest calling the manufacturer or qualified local refrigeration repair.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Stickshaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
I am going to be the odd man out and suggest calling the manufacturer or qualified local refrigeration repair.
Er, yeah, that's what I meant to say...

Quick Reply