New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Just bough the fridge. Hardware to come but one questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
rcstrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just bought the fridge. Hardware to come but one modification question

Hey All:

I just bought a sanyo sr 9510 fridge the other day for $95 bucks on craigslist! It is a 9.5 CU FT fridge Measurements: 21" wide x 23.5" deep x 53" tall (outside measurements). The tap hardware is being shipped as we speak and I can't wait to get this thing up and running when I get back from vacation next week. I am just getting into kegging so I initially plan to stock one commercial 5 gal keg and one homebrew in this thing for the time being. My concern comes with internal spacing. While there is plenty of room for 2 kegs I want to be able to get more in there as I buy more supplies. The shelf brackets on the side of the fridge are built in molded acrylic (I believe) and take up roughly 1 inch inside of the fridge (this is not the door shelves btw. These are the internal (metal) shelves above of the vegetable crispers. I plan on removing the door shelves in my build). My question is can I grind these down and just foil tape over the exposed insulation or is this a reason for concern? With the measurements I took within the fridge in accordance with the Beverage Factory keg size chart, If I grind these down, I have enough room to fit 4 total 5 gallon kegs in this so I am hoping I can grind it down.

I appreciate any thoughts/ideas you all have.

Last edited by rcstrick; 08-29-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 24

my fridge that i modified holds 2 corneys.. i used my dremel to cut out the brackets that you mentioned on the sides, along with the bottom shelf on the door.. i haven't had any problems yet going on 3 years of kegs..

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. Apfelwein, The Fox Says... Yum, Shot in the Dark
Keg 1: The Fox Says... Yum | Keg 2: Shot in the Dark | Keg 3: Second Breakfast Oatmeal Stout Clone
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
joegocal
Recipes 

My current kegerator is a 4.2 cu ft. danby mini fridge. Unfortunately, the door had a big plastic shelving unit in it which made the keg not fit so I had to remove it. So now the door is just bare foam insulation.

What I did to avoid losing and cold was to just duct tape the hell out of the connection between plastic and foam. That way, you at least get to avoid temperature increase because of air moving around. I would think if you are careful you should be fine with those bits grinded down. (as long as you aren't losing any foam insulation or puncturing a coolant tube)

Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
rcstrick
Recipes 

Thanks for the input! I am planning on going ahead with grinding it down once everything comes! It'll be time consuming but I think it will turn out quick well with some insulting tap covering the gaps.

Quick Reply