Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Jonny's Guide to turning a server tower into a brew sculpture!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Jonny's Guide to turning a server tower into a brew sculpture!

Hello fellow brewers! Like some of you I found that the biggest expense when it comes to all-grain brewing is the brew sculpture, and thats the primary reason I never went that route (until now). Even those out there that build the three burner or even the towers themselves, it still requires a good amout of time and money. However, I have a possible solution for those of you that want a quality build without needing to buy a ton of slotted steel. I recently came into possession a large IBM server tower and I knew from the start it would make an awesome brew tower. Since there are no detailed DIY server tower brew builds out there, I decided to share my build experience with all of you. Over the next couple months I will be working on getting this thing up and running. Wish me luck! Here is a picture of the starting project. Hope you all enjoy this little adventure!

img_20140212_220437.jpg  
Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1217 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1860

Awesome. I can't wait to see what happens with it.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 875

Before you spend a lot of time on it, I would test that steel to see if it stays rigid after applying heat. There will be a lot of weight resting on it.

Snow cakes for dinner?

Preparing: 2'd Clone | Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Before you spend a lot of time on it, I would test that steel to see if it stays rigid after applying heat. There will be a lot of weight resting on it.

Snow cakes for dinner?
I thought about that. I'm also not sure of this coating on the steel on the server cabinet is fire proof. Therefore I'm actually going to get some 16" stand burners and rig them up inside instead of building stands from the existing steel. I'll be able to use the existing steel to build a shelf for the mash cooler. I'll post the progress when i get some!

Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
jcav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck bro on your build, it's a wild ride and you'll have a great sense of accomplishment when you are done! Oh yea and some awesome beer!

John

"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit. Genius is hitting a target no one else can see."

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they really aren't after you!"

Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

OP states that the brew sculpture is a high cost item... I spent maybe $25 - $30 on mine. (not including brewing hardware) Four 8 ft 2x4's. about $2.50 each. 6 pieces of culled 2x4 $.51 each. and about $10 of paint.
A sheet of scavenged plywood.

3 tier wood sculpture.

I have turned it around since the pic to get the BK next to the sink.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySax View Post
I thought about that. I'm also not sure of this coating on the steel on the server cabinet is fire proof. Therefore I'm actually going to get some 16" stand burners and rig them up inside instead of building stands from the existing steel. I'll be able to use the existing steel to build a shelf for the mash cooler. I'll post the progress when i get some!

If the side panels on that thing have some good "folds" in them, ( bends and returns), it will be hell for stout in compression , which is the way you'll be loading it!
If it's anything like the server cabinet I use for a storage cabinet, you should have no problems, other than the heat of your burners taking some paint off.....

You'll be good, if it's steel.

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcruiser View Post
If the side panels on that thing have some good "folds" in them, ( bends and returns), it will be hell for stout in compression , which is the way you'll be loading it!
If it's anything like the server cabinet I use for a storage cabinet, you should have no problems, other than the heat of your burners taking some paint off.....

You'll be good, if it's steel.
this thing had probably almost 100 lbs of computer equipment that i had to pull out... its solid steel and super strong. Should have no problem holding some beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
OP states that the brew sculpture is a high cost item... I spent maybe $25 - $30 on mine. (not including brewing hardware) Four 8 ft 2x4's. about $2.50 each. 6 pieces of culled 2x4 $.51 each. and about $10 of paint.
A sheet of scavenged plywood.

3 tier wood sculpture.

I have turned it around since the pic to get the BK next to the sink.
Although there is the cheap way to build a tier system... I really never liked the wood builds. they just don't look at elegant as the other ones, although out of all of the wood builds i've seen, yours is actually REALLY nice. i also found that the wood builds take up a good amount of space in comparison to other builds. I have limited back patio space especially with my smoker build, so I needed something that took up more vertical real estate.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok so the weather finally broke and I had a chance to work on this tower. The tower inside is 20" wide and I purchased 16" burners. i cut the legs off of the burners using my oscillating tool. I used 2" L brackets to attach the burners to the brackets in the tower. I'm planning on using the metal i pulled out to build the shelf for the cooler. Now... i need to plan how to run the gas lines... the lines and valves that came with these burners are too short. Any ideas?

2014-02-20-22.10.32.jpg   2014-02-22-10.00.26.jpg   2014-02-21-17.29.17.jpg   2014-02-22-11.26.54.jpg   2014-02-22-12.59.38.jpg  

Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #10
joeleaux
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So far so good!

On Deck: Pale Ale