Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
JakeTheHopDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks great. Really like the dark color. What did you do on the top surface?

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Any issues with the freezer overheating due to the paneling? If there is an airspace between the wood and the freezer, then it is not going to cool itself off properly. If the wood is glued directly to the freezer outer walls, then the heat can escape through the wood via conduction.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #23
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintent View Post
Any issues with the freezer overheating due to the paneling? If there is an airspace between the wood and the freezer, then it is not going to cool itself off properly. If the wood is glued directly to the freezer outer walls, then the heat can escape through the wood via conduction.

To be honest, I don't know... I haven't plugged in the freezer yet, I'm waiting until my temp controller gets here.

The wood isn't glued directly to the freezer, but it is mounted flush to the freezer on the 2 sides that are enclosed... The side that the compressor vent is on is 'open', meaning that there is 1 foot between the freezer wall and wood paneling. I'll have a fan in that chamber that will cycle on and off with the compressor.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #24
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I was commenting because my frigidair's sides get VERY HOT. I had it right next to my wine fridge, but moved it a few feet over cause it was warming it up!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

thats a beaut, ever consider making an adjoining bar counter, you could have a nice "L" shape

nice work on the keez

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #26
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintent View Post

ACtually from what ive seen on here, you need that airspace, but also you need a fan or soemthing to clear the hot air from that space. Wood is a pretty good insulator, so i dont know if youll see much heat escape through "conduction"
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT

Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #27
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl300zx View Post
ACtually from what ive seen on here, you need that airspace, but also you need a fan or soemthing to clear the hot air from that space. Wood is a pretty good insulator, so i dont know if youll see much heat escape through "conduction"
Depends entirely on thickness, use, species, and assembly, because in most cases, contrary to your statement, wood is not a very good insulator at all.... in fact, in the walls of your home, the vast majority of the heat escaping through the walls (with the exception of the windows or the gaps around them) is through the studs themselves...

On average, softwoods have an R-value of around 1.4 per inch, while most hardwoods are a scant 0.7 per inch. If you're talking 1/8"-1/4" paneling as most of us have used when directly facing freezers, you're talking about an R-value of about 0.087 to 0.35.... or in the simplest terms... next to nothing. The key is to keep it very tight to the siding of the freezer.

If it's not tight, then yes, you need a fan, because contrary to wood, an air space is a very good insulator. If you allow heat to build between the walls of a freezer and the wood paneling, you're in for trouble... but if you allow it to pass directly through the paneling, you're in pretty good shape.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #28
rustynuts
Recipes 

That is a beautiful keezer. I wish I would have thought about extending mine to store a co2 tank and regs. Be sure to keep us updated as you start using this beast...I may make some changes to mine based on this design. Thanks Jersh!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuts View Post
That is a beautiful keezer. I wish I would have thought about extending mine to store a co2 tank and regs. Be sure to keep us updated as you start using this beast...I may make some changes to mine based on this design. Thanks Jersh!
Thanks Russ! Also thanks for the quick shipping on those regulators, they'll be put to use soon!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
If it's not tight, then yes, you need a fan, because contrary to wood, an air space is a very good insulator. If you allow heat to build between the walls of a freezer and the wood paneling, you're in for trouble... but if you allow it to pass directly through the paneling, you're in pretty good shape.
precisely.

Quick Reply