The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > It's official starting my own brewing business!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #391
Brewskys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Good Luck Bro! Cant wait to see your pics!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #392
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I was actually going to post an update things have been slow but now that winter is over its picked up. I started building my walk in cooler I will have pics up soon. I did brew A LOT and drink A LOT had lots of folks over and gots lots of great feedback on my stuff.

We got our hop rhizomes in and are planting them and making the trellises for our beer garden.

There is a Fransiscan (sp?) Friary here in the next town they actually operate a fairly legendary bakery called the Friar's Bakehouse in Bangor. I was invited to the Friary for the sunrise Easter service. Just so happens the Friars are into brewing and starting a brewery themselves. Different from mine in that they want to sell to stores and bars. They are in the middle of the licensing process right now and during the potluck breakfast after the service we talked beer, I tried some of theirs and I picked his brain about a few things and he agreed to meet with me in the future to walk me thru the process.

I dd find out that Yes you cannot have a residence connected to a brewery. The Friars tried and tried to get around this to no avail. We knew this might be the case and when it's time my "residence" will just move 3 miles away to my GF's house. He told me quite a bit of interesting stuff already. He did say it's a PITA but you just get thru it and yes its a process but its not that bad especially if you are 100 barrels a year. I felt really good after talking to him and am glad I will have him as a resource when I go thru it.

Also we hope to start cutting the camp road and campsites soon. I am working on getting a friend who has a back hoe to come in and do the work in exchange for the wood and we would pay for the diesel.

I will post pics of the walk in soon.

P.S. I love all the people who say I can't do this and I can't do that and that this is a train wreck yada yada yada. Just motivates me more and I will laugh last and laugh hardest.

Unfortunately I feel like this is the first of many hardships you are going to experience with this endeavor. It's too bad because it would have been awesome to live right there. Then again maybe it will be a good thing to have a place to go home to that is away from the craziness of the business. After all, we all need respite from our passions from time to time (Even Ron Jeremy takes days off ).

Take this with a grain of salt as everybody does things a little bit differently However, I too have an education in BUS MGT (and other fields) and I know the most responsible and necessary thing for carrying out a long term venture like this is to have a very solid business plan, mapping out expenditures and scheduling the development of your venture. It would have been a pain in the backside but you at least would of had a guide (from the looks of this it would have been a couple hundred page Bus plan but it would have at least been mapped out). You're just kind of bouncing around, doing things here and doing things there. You are essentially giving away your product from the sounds of it (I get trying to perfect your recipes with feedback but man, thats money down the drain). You have completely put off checking into Fed/State/Local req'ts. Your initial post(s) stated that you planned to be open for business last fall or this spring at the latest. From all I have read and researched regarding this matter you are at least going to be 6 mos out and probably more with the legal process that must take place prior to getting the licenses necessary. All's I'm saying is you could have potentially been in business by now if you would have done the legal work first, got the establishment open with some type of revenue flowing in, then worked on the details as time progressed with this added revenue flow helping fund this. If you would focus all of that energy, and man you've proven you have plenty of it, you could be an EXTREMELY successful entrepreneur.

I'm not a hater man! I'm honestly not! I'd love to see you succeed! It just seems like you refused to take advice from guys on here that have been down the road you are traversing and it is going to end up costing you a substantial amount of time before this investment can start generating revenue for you......................... I don't really see anyone busting your balls here. They are just trying to get you to open your eyes to the legal side of this and you have just absolutely refused. Ultimately you will be the one to pay but you can't say these guys didn't try to help.

I hope this turns out the way you want it and I hope you don't take my words as harsh, for if I ever make it up that way I would LOVE to visit. But man, buckle down and go all the way with this. It would truly be a sight to see and you will have successfully differentiated yourself from 99% of all other brewpubs in the US because there will be VERY few like yours.

Best of luck and get focused. Eye on the prize!

Oh and I would pass around the tip jar (with a wink ) before pouring your friends their first drink.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #393
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

You know sometimes you just gotta jump in and learn how to swim. Studying it to death is not the way some people do things

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

glenn514 Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #394
oneandahalfshepherds
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer
You know sometimes you just gotta jump in and learn how to swim. Studying it to death is not the way some people do things
I am not much for drowning, just sayin

"Now is the time to think of only one thing, that which I was born for" EH

GrantH Likes This 
Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #395
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
I know he didn't choose to take out a loan to do this like 90% of entrepreneurs do and kudos to him but for the rest of the world that does, " studying it to death" aka developing a business plan, is a requirement prior to procuring the funds to undertake an operation like this................. why not plan and be prepared?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #396
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd rather defend and support the right for the guy to do what he wants in the way he wants than be the one to tell him how he should do it.

He's working things out in real time, he's solving the problems as they happen because he chooses to, to make it more enjoyable to him, or because he does not want to take the hobby part out of the business just yet. We've all heard the stories of people who make their hobby their business (I like to cook so I opened a restaurant! Now I hate running a restaurant...) maybe he's choosing to keep the hobby/enjoyment alive for as long as he can... It's his choice.

I think solicited advice is cool. I think telling someone they're doing it all wrong, and suggesting they pursue their dream the way you'd pursue yours is a bit overbearing. He's been clear its a casual thing, developing as it goes, he's got no loan over his head so his progress is dictated by him alone. I think that's cool. I don't think he's said, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm in over my head, someone tell me how to do it. He's just sharing his approach. I wish their was more support for him in this than "advice"

Nobody is going to jail over this, it's not a crime against humanity or anything. It's a very frugal, practical, DIY type Maine thing. And that's ok. Really.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #397
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It is a long hard road but one well worth venturing to fulfill dreams! Keep the good fight going!!!

WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #398
unclevername
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
I'd rather defend and support the right for the guy to do what he wants in the way he wants than be the one to tell him how he should do it.

He's working things out in real time, he's solving the problems as they happen because he chooses to, to make it more enjoyable to him, or because he does not want to take the hobby part out of the business just yet. We've all heard the stories of people who make their hobby their business (I like to cook so I opened a restaurant! Now I hate running a restaurant...) maybe he's choosing to keep the hobby/enjoyment alive for as long as he can... It's his choice.

I think solicited advice is cool. I think telling someone they're doing it all wrong, and suggesting they pursue their dream the way you'd pursue yours is a bit overbearing. He's been clear its a casual thing, developing as it goes, he's got no loan over his head so his progress is dictated by him alone. I think that's cool. I don't think he's said, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm in over my head, someone tell me how to do it. He's just sharing his approach. I wish their was more support for him in this than "advice"

Nobody is going to jail over this, it's not a crime against humanity or anything. It's a very frugal, practical, DIY type Maine thing. And that's ok. Really.

Awesome stuff. I gotta admit I had a different take till I read your post. You are right. What this country needs more of is ruged individualism. Good stuff.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #399
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
He's just sharing his approach. I wish their was more support for him in this than "advice"

I don't THINK I, personally, have been critical other than simply making the suggestion that he figure out the applicable regulations before he build out a full brewery, although I think others have been more direct with some criticisms.

The TTB not allowing a brewery to be part of a residence is a perfect example of what I've been trying to point out. That's not a "Maine thing". It is a Federal regulator that, if you want any other part of this to be legal, has to be satisfied first.... and they don't are how laid back Maine is. You can't have a brewery as part of a residence.

I haven't paid that close attention but i think I saw that the solution to this would be that he would simply move off the property. When we filled out our TTB brewer's notice docs, we needed to supply a deed or executed lease on the property along with all of zoning info from the town. Whether you live there or not has zero to do with whether it is zoned as "residential". The town has to zone the property as such. Maybe it is already zoned appropriately. Maybe in Maine, they're just rubber stamp a re-zoning. I have no idea. My point all along as simply been to check that stuff out before building the entire thing out... Because... maybe it isn't zoned right for the Feds and for some oddball reason the town can't change it. Now you have a big full brewery that took a lot of time, effort, and money... That will simply be a really cool homebrew rig.... Which doesn't really strike me as being "frugal" in any way.

And that is ONE thing (TTB residence thing). We had a couple dozen of those types if things pop up before we opened. Given the headaches we had, having someone who had gone through it give us advice on were the landmines were and how to get around them would have been the best possible support we could have gotten.

Unfortunately, thats been largely met with "F U commie from Mass we are from Maine where we do it our way". So.... Ok. Have at it. I am looking forward to some pictures and hopefully swinging through someday and having a pint with a side of crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #400
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

*sigh*

And from the very beginning I have stated that I am building what I am building because I want it for me not just because I want a business. I said from the very beginning if I start the business and I fail worse comes to worse I have a cool place to brew and drink beer.

I want an all grain brewing setup, I want a brew room, I f@cking need a f@cking walk in cooler! Not sure about other folks but being able to only carb 4 kegs at a time is a royal PITA!

Hence the not borrowing money. Quitting my job. Blah blah blah. People act like I'm turning my life upside down and risking a whole bunch of resources by doing it this way. I find it to be the exact opposite doing it like this. It seems that those who have succeeded found it to be some sort of horrible, stressfull experience. Sorry if I refuse to participate.

I do what I want when I can if you flat landers want to call it a stupid Maine thing then whatever.

Had my gf's graduation party this weekend she just completed nursing school. Had BBQ and I had the trashcan kegerator out serving brew and cider had many compliments and enthusiastic endorsements. One of my neighbors is on the planning board and is all for a nano and a campground.

Rained all weekend will try and post some pics today.

Quick Reply