Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Inverted Keg for Mash Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
I_B_Mongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Inverted Keg for Mash Tun?

Today I scored a sanke keg at a garage sale for $12. (my conscience is clear, they tried to return it to the liquor store, but didn't have the necessary paper work and were turned away)

Anyway, my idea it to remove the spear, cut the bottom of the keg, and weld a SS elbow in the top, and install a false bottom. That way I could get complete drainage from my MT.

Has anybody done this? (pics if ya got 'em) Does anyone see any reason why I should avoid this and just go the traditional route?

Thanks, and happy brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Instead of welding, a 2" (I believe) triclamp fitting mates right up to the spear opening! There's some info around here. People do and have done it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep - a 2" Tri-Clover fits the sanke spear hole.

Brewers' Hardware fermenter kit is designed this way, and is one of the greatest fermenting accessories I've ever bought

No reason you couldn't attach a 2" sanitary x 1/2" NPT fitting and attach a valve. Or a 2" sanitary elbow, for that matter...

Or you can get a 2" sanitary cap, drill a hole in it, and mount a weldless ball valve.

About 10 ways to skin this cat - But they all wind up delicious!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thanks, I ran a search, but came back with 18 pages of results...searched "inverted keg", came back with everything from making inverted sugar, kegging info, etc. etc. I faithfully looked through all the pages-still nothing usable.
If anybody who has done this could post some pics of it in use in your system, as well as your thoughts on it, it would be much appreciated!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi, I've been planning an inverted bottom drain keg MLT as well. Here are some recent threads:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rip-cooler-e-hlt-helloooooo-bottom-drain-keg-e-hlt-176101/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/sanke-weldless-bottom-drain-193562/

Also, here's an awesome idea of using a cut keg top or bottom for a false bottom:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cut-keg-top-false-bottom-192413/

Of course I'll be using the keg's "bottom" for my false bottom.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default How do you clean it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
Yep - a 2" Tri-Clover fits the sanke spear hole.

Brewers' Hardware fermenter kit is designed this way, and is one of the greatest fermenting accessories I've ever bought

No reason you couldn't attach a 2" sanitary x 1/2" NPT fitting and attach a valve. Or a 2" sanitary elbow, for that matter...

Or you can get a 2" sanitary cap, drill a hole in it, and mount a weldless ball valve.

About 10 ways to skin this cat - But they all wind up delicious!

How would clean this fermenter if you don't cut the top off it? I have a keg sitting around not doing much and would love to make it into a 10 gallon fermenting chamber.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
shuie
Recipes 

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke_Fermenter_Instructions.html

Quote:
Cleaning the Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit

Cleaning the Sanke Keg Fermenter is best done using Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW), Oxyclean or an equivalent cleaner and hot water. The easiest way to do this is to mix a few gallons of cleaner in the keg and put it up on a burner. Be sure the opening is not obstructed (remove the Sanke Fermenter Conversion Kit completely) and bring the solution to a boil. Shut off the flame and allow the keg to cool back down. Once it is cool, you can roll the keg on the ground and/or us a carboy brush to reach the inside of the top. The steam will have loosened the kreusen ring and the PBW solution should take care of the rest. Rinse your fermenter well and and turn it upside down to drain.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
How would clean this fermenter if you don't cut the top off it? I have a keg sitting around not doing much and would love to make it into a 10 gallon fermenting chamber.
It's easy to clean. A hot Oxy soak will do it. Then I sanitize to store it. On brew day I put a few gallons of water in it and put it on the burner. The steam will kill anything left.
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
mrbubbly
Recipes 

ive been thinking about this as well, and i bet i could use the piece of SS i cut off of the bottom as a false bottom for the MLT... ok so lets say im going to do that... should i go with drilling hundreds of tiny little holes? or would a slotted design work as well?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
mrbubbly
Recipes 

i inverted the keg, cut the bottom off and am now using it as a false bottom. 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" ball valve on the underside. thanks for the inspiration!

mms_picture-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply