Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Insulating an Igloo Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
dr_finklestein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Insulating an Igloo Cooler

My 10 gallon igloo MT looses a couple degrees during the mash and I want to insulate it more. I don't want to use the awkward Reflectix bubble wrap stuff. I am wondering if anyone knows what John Beere used on his kegs in this post. Do you think this will work for a cooler?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't know what that material is, sorry. The Reflectix stuff is not that awkward. I made up a removable sleeve. It worked like a charm on a 5 gallon cooler, but not so great on a 10 gallon rubbermaid. I also lose 2-4 degrees. I have heard some say it is the increase in head space inside the cooler. Some people put saran wrap on top of the mash after mashing in and stirring, I might try that next time.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
I don't know what that material is, sorry. The Reflectix stuff is not that awkward. I made up a removable sleeve. It worked like a charm on a 5 gallon cooler, but not so great on a 10 gallon rubbermaid. I also lose 2-4 degrees. I have heard some say it is the increase in head space inside the cooler. Some people put saran wrap on top of the mash after mashing in and stirring, I might try that next time.
I get the same kinda temp loss also. Now my brain is ticking with an idea. Listen to this one, if it is indeed loss of temp due to the increase in head space how about decreasing it with, what shall I call it "false top". Rather than saran wrap, which to me doesnt really figure to keep temp from decreasing ,fashion a top out of stainless steel to fit whatever shape cooler that is being used with a handle on it and just gentle place on top of the grain bed. Seems like it could work.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Not sure if your cooler is round or square but it should not matter. I had the same issue and I ended spraying that foam insulation stuff into my lid. I drill a few small holes then injected it in to it. I think I ended up using two cans and it made a world of difference.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/
upperNY01brewer Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Not sure if your cooler is round or square but it should not matter. I had the same issue and I ended spraying that foam insulation stuff into my lid. I drill a few small holes then injected it in to it. I think I ended up using two cans and it made a world of difference.
Never thought of that, but that makes sense..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer

I get the same kinda temp loss also. Now my brain is ticking with an idea. Listen to this one, if it is indeed loss of temp due to the increase in head space how about decreasing it with, what shall I call it "false top". Rather than saran wrap, which to me doesnt really figure to keep temp from decreasing ,fashion a top out of stainless steel to fit whatever shape cooler that is being used with a handle on it and just gentle place on top of the grain bed. Seems like it could work.
I often make a tin foil "false top" which fits into my cooler, it rests on top of the mash.. usually 4 or 5 layers. Then I zip up the whole mash tun in a sleeping bag
upperNY01brewer Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
apshaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just made a new mash tun out of a 10 gallon igloo cooler. I used almost 1 can of expanding spray foam in the lid. I used it for the first time yesterday. I pre-heated and still lost about 4 degrees over an hour. That's with a sleeping bag over top. I can live with it.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I throw a double folded sleeping bag over my cooler, keeps the temp steady.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
dr_finklestein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
I remember reading a post once where someone did this. Can't seem to find it in the search.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
dr_finklestein
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Good Idea. I will try this.

I still want to line the outside of the cooler with the material in the above post. Does anyone know what it is?

Quick Reply