LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
jas0420
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One last-minute upgrade... Ran to Home Depot and grabbed a little $10 utility pouch that would normally go on a tool apron. Secured the pouch to the keg with a bungee cord. The CO2 bottle tended to lean out away from the keg at the top, so I clipped a little piece of clothes hanger wire and bent it into a clip that fits around the neck of the regulator at one end and the corny lid locking mechanism on the other.

It doesn't do much for the stability of the keg, but does manage to stay upright by itself on an empty keg. Planning on just taking another bungee cord or two and finding something to anchor the whole thing to. Or maybe I'll just hang out there all night to... umm make sure it doesn't tip over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That pouch is a damn good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very cool (pun intended)

I highly recommend building a base to help keep your keg with the tank from tipping over. The combination of high center of gravity, a tanking hanging on it, and the intoxicating contents make recipe for a broken regulator gauge at a minimum. Been there done that.

All can go well for the whole party, no problems, but you are feeling good, and DOH! something or someone bumps it.

some 2x4 and scrap wood will do the job.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
jas0420

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I highly recommend building a base to help keep your keg with the tank from tipping over.
Yeah... My original thought today was that I'd go get one of those nifty tool aprons that fits over a 5 gallon bucket, put the keg in the bucket, put the CO2 in the bucket's pouch, and throw in some ice packs in the bottom of the bucket to add some weight, keep the keg a little cooler, and stabilize the keg in the bucket.

But..... Home Depot failed me and didn't have any. I found this one instead. Guess what I bought doesn't really stop me from doing the bucket thing though... Might try that for today's outting since I'm out of time. I notice in your pic that one of your brew buddies did something like that.

I'll poke through the wood pile at home this weekend though and see what falls together.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bump..
How did this work out for you?

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
jas0420

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Really well! It stayed plenty cold for the duration of the party. I did wind up wrapping two layers of the foam around it though since I had a couple. The keg lived on a concrete porch w/o a place to tie down to, but managed to not get knocked over.

In hindsight, I learned that my definition of "portable" needed to include "has wheels". I had to park about 4 houses down, and the keg was filled to the top. By the time I lugged it to where I was going, I needed a beer (so that part was convenient).

I think that next time the need comes up, I'll buy a little folding hand truck like this one that I've been looking at: LINK. Should help a little with stability too as long as the surface is something flat like a deck or porch.

Other than that though, it worked very well!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #17
jefferson
Recipes 

How is that regulator holding up? I just bought one for $33 and after getting it I am not only under the impression that KegCowboy has the cheapest regulators but that they are not low-grade versions..........rather more in line with the $50+ regulators that you see. Is that what you have found?

Quick Reply