LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Belmont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Input on home brewpub

I had a sunroom with a hot tub in it and decided to get rid of the hot tub and convert the room into a brewpub. In Houston it isn't cold for enough days to justify the expense of keeping a hot tub running. I've had the hot tub removed and had a floor drain run and ran some water to the place that I intend to put the sink. The carpentry work will begin next week if all goes well. What I'm planning is to have a bar top with a sink behind it on one end of the bar area. Against the back wall and parallel to the bar would be my keezer that I'm having some cabinets built around to enclose and conceal it. I'm doing a mirror the length of this wall with shelving mounted in front of it. I'll use the cabinets to store my gear. I'm wanting to cook in this area as well but am not sure about needed ventilation. This room has ceilings that slope from 10 ft to about 15 ft as a guess and the entire room is actually pretty large(around 500 sq. ft. with the bar portion taking about 1/3). I wasn't sure if I could use natural gas and if so what kinds of burners to buy or if I should just use LP. Are there any issues with using LP indoors? Would there be issues with using natural gas with a strong flame for over an hour indoors? Are there any other features of this project that I'm missing that could make it more convenient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You would need to vent either way you go. (And bring in fresh makeup air, as well.) In the mean time you may could get by with propping the outside door open and using a box fan.

Note: I'm not an expert, so proceed at own risk, but I used to use LP in my garage and just open a window and one garage door to get a cross wind.

Of course, if you could go electric...

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are a few people here who brew with LP indoors. Make sure that you ventilate very well and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be installing air conditioning on this room as well. I guess that would be just recirculating so that's not quite the same. I could definitely install ventilation though. I'll start asking about that. Is there anything else this room needs?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Yeah just make sure you have proper ventilation, It seems like a range hood would be in your budget and ideal.
I would go with at least a second Chest freezer for fermenting temps if you don't already have such control.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting another upright for free that I was thinking of using for fermentation temp regulation but I'm not sure if I want it in this room or not. It would take up space that I was thinking of using for cabinets. There's still plenty of room outside of the proposed bar area of the room but without enclosing it in some way it would hurt the aesthetics of the room. I could put it in the shed which is just outside of this room. I'm thinking of maybe doing a mini fridge under one of the countertops to keep bottled beer cool.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So what about the burners. Does anyone know what kind of burners I should get if I want to do natural gas? It would be more convenient than having to refill/runout of LP and it wouldn't take a lot to run natural gas to this spot. I'm also trying to find one of those retractable sink spray hoses that they have in restaurants to make cleaning easier. I spend a ton of time going in and out of there now to get to a hose. I have to walk inside to the kitchen if I want hot water. Having hot water and a good sprayer will be nice. Another thing that I was concerned about was concealing the keezer. So basically I'll have some kind of countertop over it that would raise with the lid. I haven't built my collar on my keezer yet. Would I need bulkheads that go through the collar and the enclosure? I'm not sure how long that would be yet.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

At the peak or highest part of the roof I would add a belt driven roof mounted ventilation fan like they use in commercial restaurants. They look like big domed flying saucers that can handle steam and grease fumes being made out of stainless steel. I have installed many plus threw away older units on remodels with nothing wrong with the old ones. Belts, bearings are the only wear items. One of these high cfm fans with a hood would make for a swamp free brewing room provided you had replacement air vents down low to replace what the fan pulls out of the room. Without return vents doors will open and your ears will feel the reduced atmospheric pressure.
It sounds like you have a win win with the War Department. Brew on.
I would go with natural gas heating plus use a CO alarm in that room.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Belmont
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd be placing the burner on an exterior wall.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are burning gas indoors a carbon monoxide detector might be a good idea.

Quick Reply