Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Immersion Chiller build question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
bdaddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Immersion Chiller build question

Building an IC for my keggle (50 ft 1/2inch). At the start I'm going to be doing 5 gallon batches only.

Anyways, I have a problem in that I didn't have anything to wrap the coil around (no keg, etc.) I sort of did it by hand and it is just not a very clean wrap (nothing like the ones I see in the youtube video). Not all the coils are the exact same size and there's parts of the coil where there are gaps between the tubes, etc. I worked it as best I can, but I kept trying to clean it up and it's even started to kink at one end so i'm reluctant to keep trying to work it to improve my wrap.

Is there any issue with it not being perfectly coiled (the coils are all evenly matched and touch each other?). If it's just a cosmetic thing, I have no problem leaving it like it is...but just wondering if it's going to affect my cooling at all?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
HellenicHomeBrewer
Recipes 

The appearance will not affect performance at all.. If you are bent on finding a something to wrap it around for a nominal cost you can buy the footer tubes from Lowes for ~$5 for 8" and ~$8 for the 12"..

Primary #1: Vanilla Cream Stout
Primary #2: All Citra IIPA
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Bottled: Victory HopDevil Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Abbey Leffe Blonde
Keg: TBA

Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
SynicalKaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used an old pan. Building a Wort Chiller « ND Brew But as long as it doesn't restrict your flow too much, you shouldn't have any problems

Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought we had a conversation about ICs before, and the "scientific" answer was that it was more efficient if the wort could get in between the coils, IOW, the coils should not be touching.

Am I amemberin' correctly on that one?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

when i made mine I used a 1 gal paint can. looks dont matter if the beer is good.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks don't matter. However 50 feet of 1/2" sticks out of a 5 gallon batch and you waste a lot of the cooling power. I would cut it into two 25' sections and weave them (interlock?) together. That way all the coils are under the wort and you will be cooling super fast. Then if you ever go to 10 gallon batches you could sweat them back together in a taller structure. Somewhere else on HBT you will find some sample pics of what I am talking about.

Quick Reply