Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Ikea mini fermentation cabinet for the financially strapped.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
fineexampl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Ikea mini fermentation cabinet for the financially strapped.

So, i don't make a ton of money, yet i needed a logical way to store my brewing equipment and not have to deal with my old back of the closet setup. The wife and i took a trip to Ikea with an empty carboy in tow. We had a cabinet in mind, but when i test fitted it, it became clear that it would not work and was about 6" shorter than i planned. We walked around some more and i came up with this from a multi-sectional closet/entertainment center series that you buy individually. Total cost was about $130 or so. The cabinet, doors, and leg extensions each are bought separately, but still, not a bad deal for the price. The display light is also Ikea and was just a few dollars more.

It's big enough to hold 2 5gal carboys side by side or one carboy and 2 cornies depending how you adjust your shelves. A few nails on the side too care of the mash paddle and carboy brush and any really long items. I'm not too sure how well it'll hold up to any residual moisture, so it might be a good idea to put a liner on the bottom, but so far so good. First batch went in last week and didn't have a destructive blowoff like i did 3 brews back.

I'll probably end up lining the cabinet with foam, but this is fine until the high summer temps hit us.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

It looks great! Do you have anything in there for temperature control? Or if not, any plans to add something?

I like the concept, but without temperature control it's pretty much a deal-breaker for me here in SoCal.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Do you have anything in there for temperature control? Or if not, any plans to add something?

I like the concept, but without temperature control it's pretty much a deal-breaker for me here in SoCal.
Nothing for temp control at all, as i'm in the midst of tracking down a freezer for a keezer. I'm sure something could be figured out, but i'm not doing lagers over here just yet, so it's fine for the high gravity brews i've been doing. The wet t-shirt would help me in a pinch, but i cant see the same setup for a hot SoCal summer.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Do you recall the name of said unit (no need to do those silly slashed "O" characters or umlauts)?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice steins and VW toys! My old man is a VW fan. Ever heard of the Bad Camberg show?

Oh, nice fermentation cabinet too I usually hope to have more than one carboy going at a time... however I presently have none

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
Do you recall the name of said unit (no need to do those silly slashed "O" characters or umlauts)?
No, i can't say that i do. Probably something weird like Bjergenderk or somesuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
Nice steins and VW toys! My old man is a VW fan. Ever heard of the Bad Camberg show?

Oh, nice fermentation cabinet too I usually hope to have more than one carboy going at a time... however I presently have none
Thanks! The dark stein is brand new from Disney World, but the 4 on the top shelf were my grandfather's that he bought in germany. Not terribly valuable, but nice sentimental value. Can't say i know of the Bad Camberg show, but a quick Google has me interested. Looks like a good time. I used to show my Beetle, but don't have the means to at the moment. Did pretty good too, placing in 3 of 4 shows and taking 1st in class in two of them. We're all about the German stuff at our little homebrewpub.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
It looks like a BESTÅ unit which is $90, plus $20 each for the doors, and $10 for the feet.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
It looks like a BESTÅ unit which is $90, plus $20 each for the doors, and $10 for the feet.
Spot on, mate! Thank you. I knew it was a B, but couldn't figure the word (in a mad rush of errands today). Prices are correct as well. It's basically one of the "design it yourself" things they have. Perfect for what i'm using it for.

edit: if memory serves, i think i paid $15 for the doors and $6 for the foot extensions. Also, you get better shelf hooks when you purchase the doors. I had a ton of spare parts that just are not needed when you have the upgrade.

Last edited by fineexampl; 04-18-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

These ideas may or may not help but...You could buy some cheap low noise computer fans or salvage some from old computers. (they rate these in cfm or cubic feet a minute...), a temp probe and a fan controller and possibly an enclosure and a fan shroud w/filter for any contamination concerns. (all computer parts).

Next cut a few holes into the fermentation area to mount the fans. I would try 1 intake and 1 exhaust at the top in a right to left air flow and 2 in the bottom with the opposite configuration.... mount the thermo sensor wire and the fans to the fan controller and plug it into your computer....

There are free "fan controller programs" and other temp monitoring software to use the fans to increase/decrease air flow while monitoring the air temp from your computer automatically. I do not suspect this would be much less than the rooms temperature but it is much better than "a wet tee shirt" in a dark cubby hole that you are probably trying to keep mold and fungus out of.....probably less than $40.00 in parts to do...If you have a way to cut the holes and some computer skills.....

To push it "over the top" I would buy a sheet of "shower wall plastic" usually in Lowes or Home Depot for about 20.00 a sheet, cut to the appropriate sizes to "line" the fermentation area with a "drain hole and a "catch" pan underneath the unit.

But the idea is very nice!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like this and as I will be moving to Atlanta in a couple of months, I will have easy access to an Ikea! As, I am going to be dealing with heat issues, I would need to modify it for use as a fermentation chamber, but I can see plenty of homebrewing storage solutions coming home from there.

Quick Reply