Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Igloo FR464 mini-fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #31
Twitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In light of me wanting to purchase one of these fridges, I ended up getting a 7cu ft. MagicChef freezer from Home Depot. They have a sale on them right now, so it is only $158. I like the growth I will have with a keezer, so I opted to spend a little extra money.

Here are some pics of the freezer. It will hold three corny kegs easily, and the CO2 will fit on the hump if it's a 5lb. I got a 10lb CO2 tank though, so I will be making a collar for my keezer.

Not to take away from the op, but this is my build that I decided on after doing more research.

7cu ft. keezer $158
19cu ft. fermentation freezer $150 (used on craigslist)
Ranco Temp Controller $80

I'm going to use the Ranco for the ferment chamber, and I will modify the internal thermostat for the keezer so that it stays above freezing. I don't need precision for the keezer like I will for the ferment chamber, so I only bought one temp controller to save on costs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #32
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

here is my completed one

Old 11-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #33
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How's it holding up? Temps okay? I think I'm going to covert one too. Got any pics of the inside with the regulator and co2 tank?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #34
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I actually put my tank behind the wall.

Temps seem good as well took two seperate readings one from laying probe on the hump in back and other from laying on top of keg

Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice! Do you think a 5lb tank would fit behind the kegs?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #36
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126 View Post
Nice! Do you think a 5lb tank would fit behind the kegs?
ya i would think so. i have never seen one, but i have 15lb tank and mine is to tall. but there is enough room width would jsut come down to height. This fridge is same size maybe bigger than some of the danby or sanyos that people have successfully fit two kegs and co2.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1919 View Post
ya i would think so. i have never seen one but i have 15lb tank and mine is to tall. but there is enough room width would jsut come down to heights. but this fridge is same size maybe bigger than some of the danby or sanyos that people have successfully fit two kegs and co2.
Sweet. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #38
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

the finishing touch.. a thermostat.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #39
PaintedRat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just picked one of these up and started playing with it. Yes, a 5# CO2 with reg will easily stand on the hump without interrupting the kegs, with space for bottles or whatever too. I unscrewed the 16 or so screws holding the seal and door panel on, and just screwed the seal back on. I don't feel any cool spots around the door. The built in regulator is in the way of the second keg, but is only held in place by one screw. I removed the controller housing and just bent what I assume is the temp probe wire back to sit the controller above the hump instead. The higher the number on the thermostat, the lower the temp. At 1 with one full keg, it holds around 50-51degrees. I turned the knob to 7 overnight, and ice condensed on the ceiling and walls, and the cylinder of water with thermometer was at 37. It seemed like the compressor was running full time though. There is a small channel behind the hump that funnels to a drilled drain hole with no plug.

I mocked up my ball locks and converted pin locks. The ball locks would not fit two without trimming the shelf rails on the sides. The second keg sticks out the door about an inch without trimming. The pin lock kegs will only fit one. I suppose if you have a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg, you could fit it in along with a 5gal pin lock keg. If anyone wants pics of fermenters/keg/co2 tanks mocked up, PM me and I'm happy to do so until I have it in use.

Update: I cut down a whiteboard I had lying around to 18 5/8 x 31. I used the original door panel as a template to drill 1/8" holes, and remounted it with the door seal on it. Putting it back on would be easier with two people. The groove in the top of the door holds pens too

Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #40
res313
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just converted mine yesterday. I can get both kegs in, but i literally have to force the second one in. This is after shaving the shelf holders off. Anybody have experience with this?

Quick Reply