Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Igloo 4.6 Cu Ft Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Igloo 4.6 Cu Ft Kegerator

I've been looking for a fridge that wouldn't need too much modification in order to fit 2 pin lock kegs in. Most of the new fridges are just too small and the older ones that are big enough are harder and harder to come by. So when I found a 4.6 cu ft fridge on walmart.com for $125 I jumped on it...

...well it's not big enough. I didn't feel like taking it back so I am modifying it.

Modifying it is a kind word. I'm gutting the bastard.

So far I have removed all the shelves, cut off the shelf holders on the sides, removed the front door panels, cut a huge chunk out of the back shelf to make room for a keg, installed a new steel mounting plate, and back filled with great stuff. So far so good and I am using a keg as a form for the great stuff. I'll post some pics when the great stuff dries.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
HDbrewer
Recipes 

I too thought about purchasing the same fridge. Can you share any pics with us?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The great stuff is curing around the keg. I wiped the keg down with canola oil to prevent the great stuff from sticking to the keg. I should have used more.

The door. The whole door panel comes off with some screws, super easy. I will transfer the skirt.

Here is the steel bracket from the backside. I used some carriage bolts to secure it and used some sheet metal screws for extra hold. I laid down a liberal bead of silicone caulk underneath the steel to help keep it air tight.

This is the underside. The steel is just about siting right up against the compressor. I will have to modify the drip plate and screw it back on. I am going to drill a hole for a hose for the gas line through the step as well.

Next step is to cut the foam away from the keg. I tried using some fishing line. I'm gonna have to slide something in there to get it out completely without ruining the foam. Then I am going to make some simple cleaning cuts on the foam and cover it all with a liberal amount of foil tape. Also I am going to add some more insulation to the backside of the steel sheet metal and make sure none of it is touching the condenser. Then all I have to do is reattach the skirt and put the hole in the top for the tower.

Cheers!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

OK! I got the keg out and I taped everything up and reinsulated the back side.

Here's some pics.

I think 2 pin locks will fit if I make some latches for the door. 1 ball and 1 pin work fine and 2 ball locks fit fine.

The is a close up of the plate.

This is where I reinsulted the back. There is about a 1/2 in oaround the back of the compressor and I added the taped to deflect heat.

I'm plugging it in tonight to make sure it still works then tomorrow night I will install the tap tower.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I drilled the holes for the tower last night. There are lines running through the top so I had to be careful. I gotta get some longer stainless screws to mount the tower, but everything should be done tonight!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

It's about 98% done. I need to get a dedicated CO2 bottle for it. I have my 20#er behind it at the moment, but I need that for carbonation. Anyway it's good enough to pour the first pint!

Cheers!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
bball3414
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looks good! I have a similar model... maybe a bit older. Haven't done anything with it yet tho. Did yours have a freezer shelf across the top of the fridge? If so, what did you do to remove it?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Brewmech
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This one doesn't have a freezer shelf, just a tray that you pull out with the shelves. I might have to relocate the thermostat for ball locks.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Was it absolutely necessary to cut out the back for two kegs? I want to do a conversion on this fridge too.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
raf1919
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126 View Post
Was it absolutely necessary to cut out the back for two kegs? I want to do a conversion on this fridge too.
no i just got mine tonight. will fit two ball locks, i had to schave down the side bracket holders and i had to unscrew thermostat and i glue it to the top of fridge vs the side .

Quick Reply