Ideal shank size for Jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be building a jockey box and want to order the shanks but I am not sure what size to get. I am looking at 4" is that big enough? I am planning on going the cheapie chrome route as opposed to SS. I am assuming that they work just as good?

TIA
zman

You should probably go shorter on the shank. Id go something closer to2". That's my opinion though.

You should probably go shorter on the shank. Id go something closer to2". That's my opinion though.

Ok. but it has to go through the wall of the cooler and still have enough room for the nipple. Will that be enough room?

I always had heard that you wanted to go for the longest shank possible to pick up more cooling in the shank. A colder faucet should lead to less foaming as well as help keep any beer in the line cool.

I've got no experience with jockey boxes though so that's just what i've heard in the past. It seems to make sense, while, at the same time, is likely negligible if youre running the beer through a stainless steel coil submerged in an ice bath or some other means of chilling the beer down to 45 ish degrees at time of serving.

Back