New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > ice bucket and immersion chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
MKEbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ice bucket and immersion chiller

So I'm going to try this today and wanted feedback on the idea.

I have a submersible pump that I am going to put in a five gallon bucket of ice, top off with water, and then pump it through my immersion chiller. Instead of running a hose and having to put all that water somewhere during a snowstorm (Wisconsin).

Think this will work ok or think the ice will melt too fast? I think it will melt fast but I'm hoping it will still be effective. I can always add snow, but then I'll have overflow and will have to put that water somewhere.

This is for a five gallon batch.

I have a friend who was thinking of doing the same thing so I'm sure I'm not going to be the first person who's tried something like this.

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you have a decent amount of snow I would probably just use that from the start . In the summer I often have to use a 5 gallon bucket of ice water. I use the tap water to get it below 100* and then I shut off the hose, disconnect and connect the pond pump. The problem with starting out with the ice water is that you will run out fairly quickly or the water will get to hot too quickly recirculating it. I have one of those cheap pumps from harbor freight and it works great.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
MKEbrew
Recipes 

So I'll likely need to refresh the bucket at least once before I reach pitching temps is what you're thinking?

There is plenty of snow - and it's still coming down, but I just figured it's going to melt faster than ice cubes.

Mark

Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Maybe 3 times...I use 1/3hp recirculating (i know its larger) to maintain hot tubs at 90+ degrees while i wait for parts 5-7 days...

Old 12-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
SeeMont
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have been doing this for 8 five gallon batches so far. Mainly because I don't have running water in my shop. I freeze 6 half gallon milk bottles and place in a large bucket. I have a bag of ice as a back up. I circulate with a small 120 volt irrigation pump. The first fve gallons of collected hot water I use for clean up. This process has worked well. My last batch I took my bucket, half filled with water and let it freeze over night. I can chill in less than 30 minutes.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
MKEbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMont View Post
My last batch I took my bucket, half filled with water and let it freeze over night. I can chill in less than 30 minutes.
Now that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Doing it that way how many buckets do you go through?

Mark

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I did that yesterday and it worked just fine - I used my HLT instead of a bucket.

Snow works, but you have to keep adding and adding and adding. Plus, rabbit turds make their way into your setup when you're scooping snow. Freezing a bucket works too, but give it a couple days to completely freeze, and keep the bucket out of the sun if you can. A whole bunch of water-filled plastic ziploc containers works well, too.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
MKEbrew
Recipes 

I have a second immersion chiller for my five gallon pot. I'm going to setup a secondary chilling phase to cool the water more before I return it to the ice bucket. maybe that will reduce the amount of water I need. Regardless, it'll look cooler! lol

Mark

Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #9
hopjunkie26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
If you have a decent amount of snow I would probably just use that from the start . In the summer I often have to use a 5 gallon bucket of ice water. I use the tap water to get it below 100* and then I shut off the hose, disconnect and connect the pond pump. The problem with starting out with the ice water is that you will run out fairly quickly or the water will get to hot too quickly recirculating it. I have one of those cheap pumps from harbor freight and it works great.

Brett...I searched through some pumps at Harbor Freight and was curious, which pump did you go with?

On Tap: Pliny the Elder Clone, Wahoo Wheat (Hefe), Snow Plow Vanilla Porter, Papa Bear Barleywine

Fermenting: Citrapocolypse, Rylee's Red (IRA)

Old 01-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
drksky
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

During the summer, I use a second chiller coil in a bucket of ice water to pre-chill the chiller water. If it's been rainy, I actually recirculate the water from my rain barrel that has a pond pump in it.

Quick Reply