Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > I need your DIY Project!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
tknice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default I need your DIY Project!

Hey all,

Our site BrewGeeks has been up for a couple of months now and although the blog is rolling along nicely, we are always looking for more DIY projects to post. It's been quite a challenge looking through the hundreds of pages of threads in this section and sifting through all of the questions. hic!
There are also lots of great older posts, but since I always ask for permission, some people will probably never respond.

So...

If you have a project that is written up with pics, please send me a link because I'd love to add it. We are working on gathering as many great DIY projects as we can find to consolidate them in one place. You can see what we currently have in DIY Projects under each main section (Grain, Hops, Yeast, Water, and Equipment).

Send a pm or contact us on the site with details.
http://www.brewgeeks.com

Also, what do you guys think about a section containing "What not to do" or something about DIY projects that failed. Would that be useful to prevent you following down the same road as someone else?

As always, thanks for your input!

Cheers!

TK

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 997 Posts

I totally don't get this trawling a forum to boost a blog...

Cheers

Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just took a quick glance at your site but it seems to have quite a bit of stuff in it, good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknice View Post
Also, what do you guys think about a section containing "What not to do" or something about DIY projects that failed. Would that be useful to prevent you following down the same road as someone else?
Just my opinion, but as far as DIY projects go I don't like this idea. It sounds like it would stifle peoples creativity more than help them, just because someone else did it wrong does not mean someone else won't get it right.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
tknice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I totally don't get this trawling a forum to boost a blog...

Cheers
That's nice. I'm trying to give something back here and you give me crap about it? We are not making money with this site... on the contrary it costs money to run, and we are trying to build a place where DIY projects don't get lost in the shuffle and buried under pages of threads.

Homebrewtalk is one of the largest, best homebrew communities I've ever seen that is filled with people who love brewing just like I do. How do you propose I communicate with everyone??

I hope you have suggestions...I'm all ears.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
tknice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
I just took a quick glance at your site but it seems to have quite a bit of stuff in it, good job.

Just my opinion, but as far as DIY projects go I don't like this idea. It sounds like it would stifle peoples creativity more than help them, just because someone else did it wrong does not mean someone else won't get it right.
Thanks H-ost. yes.. we do have a blog with updated daily posts, but the main idea is sharing info with permanent sections--it will just take a little while to build the content.

I'm on the fence about the "what no to do" section as well. I think it may end up being confusing and, as you said, someone could find a better/different way to do an idea that didn't work before.

thanks for offering your ideas..

Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3311 Times on 2059 Posts
Likes Given: 2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknice View Post
That's nice. I'm trying to give something back here and you give me crap about it? We are not making money with this site... on the contrary it costs money to run, and we are trying to build a place where DIY projects don't get lost in the shuffle and buried under pages of threads.

Homebrewtalk is one of the largest, best homebrew communities I've ever seen that is filled with people who love brewing just like I do. How do you propose I communicate with everyone??

I hope you have suggestions...I'm all ears.
Regarding threads getting lost... that's true, and falls on the shoulders of the mods here. They can choose to organize this site with stickies and stickied lists. While that does exist, it's VERY weak. They don't get paid, so primarily they play kindergarten cop and spend most of their time policing juvenile behavior (AFAIK, only Txbrew makes money, one guy, so what can you expect). This is just a forum.

(I was going to bash your request to copy from this site to yours, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this site isn't geared towards cataloging projects... they do get lost in the stream of threads that course through here).

Here are some things I made, you are free to copy as much of this to your blog as you like. I think you have your heart in the right place.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simp...ng-jig-143048/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/doub...e-fast-257264/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pres...le-cap-268151/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/240...l-pics-184296/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/inli...simple-163779/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pape...r-mill-203515/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/2-1-...menter-200328/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/auto...isited-163373/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/i-j...oscope-270225/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chil...-w-pic-159995/

Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Just took a quick glance at it and now have it on the favorites. Love the best beer commercial you have on there and the tip on etching glass is pretty sweet. I'll grab a beer and check it out more later tonight. Looked pretty sweet!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the site so far. I will defiantly be reading more over there. If the OP of a certain thread/project gives you permission you can use it. Otherwise I don't see HBT liking you taking there articles. Just my two cents from being an admin on another forum.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
jasonkeithscott
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster89 View Post
If the OP of a certain thread/project gives you permission you can use it. Otherwise I don't see HBT liking you taking there articles. Just my two cents from being an admin on another forum.
I think that's why he's, in this very thread, explicitly asking HB users to share their DIY projects with him. I find that to be a pretty darn good example of web etiquette.

Last edited by jasonkeithscott; 04-13-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
tknice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys.. yes, I don't expect Txbrew or even any of the mods to catalog projects (other than the occasional sticky like you said)...it would be too much. Our goal is to build a nice searchable library of projects and eventually to have at least one example of every common brewing DIY for people to see.. as well as some that none of us would ever think of! LOL

I should pm Txbrew to see if he has a problem with me asking his members to share their projects. I guess I thought of it more as the brewing community and that person's idea than the property of homebrewtalk. It's certainly my mistake if he doesn't feel that way.

I'd like to point out too, that the projects listed on brewgeeks come from all over the web, not just here. The Aussies were very happy to share and have lots of great ideas (although they were pissed at my constant use of imperial instead of metric lol--which I'm always trying to fix), and there are lots of other sites and forums who's members have offered their projects to post.

Again, thanks for not bashing, my buddy scoundrel and I look at HBT and post in threads just like you guys every day and are just trying to do our part to help promote homebrewing and have a little fun at the same time (we are programmers by profession).

p.s. Thanks for the links passedpawn, gonna check them out once I get the kids fed.

How to Make Starters
How to Clean Kegs
How to Rack Beer to a Keg

Quick Reply