HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > I may have drilled the keggle hole too big

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
mramann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
These are 0.99" ID and 2" OD. Why so large ID?

1/2" MPT fittings are only 3/4" so I would have thought that a 0.75" ID would work better no?

Kal
Kal - I figured the same thing. I ordered these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=F alse&searchstring=99604A129

.74" ID for my 1/2" MPT fittings. They'll be here on Monday and I'll let everyone know how they work out. Nice, fat washers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
kal

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks - yes - keep us posted. They're also a couple of bucks cheaper and you get 25 instead of 10!

Kal

Old 02-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #13
kal

Recipes 

How how'd they work out? Just curious as I'm putting together a McMaster order myself...

Kal

Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
mramann
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Kal,

Yup. They worked out great. I do think I drilled the hold 1/16" too big, but with some good wrenching these seals hold real tight. Sorry I forgot to post here. From my experience these really are a great part. Make sure to get an SS washer for each seal in the same diameter. Really held tight once I put one of those suckers on there.

20 leak-free gallons and counting...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
Pez
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The silicon washers seam like a better route than o-rings. Wonder why I haven't seen more posts on them here???

Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
hammer one

Recipes 

Just my 2cents. But I didn't see any s/s washers on your list.
You cant crank down a nut on a O ring. Oring/washer/nut

Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
kal

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramann View Post
Hey Kal,

Yup. They worked out great. I do think I drilled the hold 1/16" too big, but with some good wrenching these seals hold real tight. Sorry I forgot to post here. From my experience these really are a great part. Make sure to get an SS washer for each seal in the same diameter. Really held tight once I put one of those suckers on there.

20 leak-free gallons and counting...
Excellent! Glad to hear. I ordered some last night too...

Kal

Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
mramann
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer one View Post
Just my 2cents. But I didn't see any s/s washers on your list.
You cant crank down a nut on a O ring. Oring/washer/nut
I did add an SS washer to either side of the vessel wall to enhance my ability to crank down on the silicone washer. Definitely helps to keep a nice seal.

I have replaced all the Orings on all my tuns and keggles with the silicone washers. Many thanks to whoever found those washers at McMaster.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
tedski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some nuts are designed with a recessed valley to accomodate an o-ring. This is the style of nut that BargainFittings.net sells. But, on the other side, you do need a washer between the coupler and the o-ring. I agree with Bobby_M that teflon tape is a bandaid. I don't load up the threads with teflon tape.

The problem I see happening often when using fittings like this is that when the system is overtightened, the o-ring pinches under torsion and loses seal. I spray the o-rings down with some food grade silicone lubricant before fitting everything together. That reduces the friction between the o-ring and the washer/kettle wall. I then use a pair of channel locks to hold the coupler still and I tighten only the locknut. Since the locknut has that recessed area, its less susceptible to kinking the o-ring. I've had great success with this procedure on both kettles and coolers. My weldless fittings don't leak one drop.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck

Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
kal

Recipes 

Another option that people can keep in mind is to use a washer outside the o-ring to keep it in place. Blichmann does this with their kettle fittings. The things are SOLID and the nuts cannot even be tightened any more even if you wanted to. There's no 'play' because the washer is in contact between the kettle wall and the device/nut on the outside.

For example, the weldless Brewmometers on my Blichmann pots came like this:

This gives you a super-solid seal that doesn't move if you push/pull on the Brewmometer. I really like this idea. I believe that Blichmann's trying to patent it too.

The trick is finding a washer that's a bit smaller in thickness than the o-ring.

Kal

Quick Reply