I love my single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
I have about 10 brews on it and have worked most of the bugs out. My brew day is relaxing and predictable. I brew in my basement under a window. Its a split level with garage under so I just put an exhaust fan in the window over my kettles and open the garage door.

IMG_3161.JPG

I've got Hurricanes on natural gas under the HLT and kettle. 25 ft 3/8 ID HERMS coil in HLT, 25 ft 3/8 ID counterflow chiller. Single march pump so I'm batch sparging. I don't see any reason to add another pump. I have it set up so I can run hot or cold water into the HLT and water comes out of the water heater at 130F so there is very little heating (waiting) to hit protein rest temps. I have a false bottom and bazooka screen in the MLT and a bazooka in the kettle. I'm doing a dunkelweizen today with 60% wheat malt. I used 1/2 lb rice hulls and could still recirculate at near full speed. I have been averaging 80%+ eff over the last 5 batches (since LHBS got their new AWESOME mill). I started brewing at 1:00 today and I am 5 minutes to flameout. I should be cleaned up by 7:15 or so.

I plan on adding some automation. I have some of the parts to add electric heating to the HLT and boil kettle.

I just want to say thanks to everybody on HBT it would have taken me forever to figure out on my own! :mug:

Also thanks Ed Wort for your wonderful pale ale! :tank:

Ohhhh I think it stinks. You better send it to me to get rid of. ;)

Kidding obviously. Seems like a nice setup and one that I wish I could brew on myself. I'm kind of at the point right now where I am debating on what to construct as my first REAL brew setup.

Chester,
Nice rig. I am also planning out my first rig. How is the bazooka in the kettle working for you? I have tried one (straight version) in my brew kettle for a couple of 5 gal batches but it just gets too clogged up with hops. I have been using only pellets without any leaf, and the amount of sludge clogs the screen, usually by the 2-3 gallon mark. Are you using the tee version and keeping it close to the keg wall then whirlpooling, or is there some other trick I'm not aware of?

Nice single tier system.

I have been wanting to make a 3 tier system for quite a long time. I recently bought a MIG welding unit and am hoping to build my brewrig soon. I've also keep reading about RIMS and HERMS systems and it's very intriguing. I think that maybe I should build a single tier system for now and then accumulate all the necessary hardware to build whichever I decide. Or maybe I need a push to help me decide which is best?

Congrats on your system.

Back