Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > HOW TO: Wire an Auber SYL-2362A2 PID for a Fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Great "how to" article Jason. Lots of brewers will love this thread.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Hi and thanks for this writeup. Reading about that PID, it mentions dual relay output, but do any of you know if those outputs can be used for heating AND cooling together? I need a dual stage controller and was planning on using this love: Series TSS-2
But this PID is priced much nicer. Can they serve the same purpose? I'm talking one output for fridge cooling, one for heating within the fridge. I can't tell from the documentation if so.
Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

no problem. I am going to have to make an amendment to this one day soon. A control relay should be used. I didn't realize it at the time but the internal relay on this guy is only rated for 3 Amps.... I thought it was 7 like the other... It seems to fair okay though. A lot of fridges already have a relay like this installed but trying to find it and wiring to it may be a little difficult for the average brewer.

It can behave as a heater, you would have to use one of the alarm out puts though. Set the alarm to the coldest temp you want and when it gets to that point the output will turn on and fire up the heater. for these, the heater would have to be rated less than 360W if you are going to directly drive it.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #14
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
for these, the heater would have to be rated less than 360W if you are going to directly drive it.
If it was more, would you use a SSR like on the electric brew rigs?

Thanks for all you write on this code, other projects may keep me from going electric right now, but I am learning a ton!
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
If it was more, would you use a SSR like on the electric brew rigs?

Thanks for all you write on this code, other projects may keep me from going electric right now, but I am learning a ton!
No problem at all. You could use an SSR but you will also have to provide a small 12VDC power supply too. A cheap wall wort would do the job.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #16
evandy
Recipes 

No reason you couldn't. The 2 relays are only rated to 3A so you would need to use an external relay on them, but they each have an alarm-on-temp and and alarm-off-temp, so you could use that to, say, keep a refrigerator at a given temp, and then PID control a brew-belt or fermwrap. Only one PID control, but most cooling solutions can't take the pulsed power anyways, so it's not a huge deal.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Set up the PID with the following parameters:

press set, enter 0089, press set again
intY = K
outY = 4 (on/off control using j2)
Hy = ? (This is the range you want it to operate in. If set to 3 the compressor will turn on at SV+3 degrees and off at SV-3 degrees. The smaller the number the tighter the control BUT you will cycle the compressor more)
Atdu = 0
PSb = ?, put the tip of the thermocouple in some ice water, adjust this number up and down till it reads 0 deg C. (I dont know if that probe is water tight. So just put the tip in the water or seal the back end with some silicone.
rd = 1
CorF = 1 (0 for Celsius)

Then you need to set one more parameter in the PID menu.
Press Set, enter 0036, press set again
ot = 20 to 40, This is the minimum time in seconds the fridge will be called to run and allowed to stop, preventing short cycling.
Everything else in this config is not applicable so leave them at their defaults.

Set the SV (Setpoint Variable)
Press set, 0001, set
SV = 50 (what ever you want your serving temp to be.)

And that is it.
Coderage,
Does this setup work for HLT and BK applications? I installed my PID (SYL-2352) last night, it was late and all the setup parameters and functions have me totally confused...I should have just left if alone and went to bed.

I'm trying to figure out which settings need to be changed when controlling 5,500w elements in the HLT and BK...thanks
Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by illin8 View Post
Coderage,
Does this setup work for HLT and BK applications? I installed my PID (SYL-2352) last night, it was late and all the setup parameters and functions have me totally confused...I should have just left if alone and went to bed.

I'm trying to figure out which settings need to be changed when controlling 5,500w elements in the HLT and BK...thanks
I'm interested to the answer to this question as well, as I too will soon have a 5500w element in my HLT/BK.

illin8, do you have 2 SSR's switching your element or a single?

I am assuming your using 40A SSR(s) rather than 25A since for 5500w you must be running 240/220v correct?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have one PID & one SSR...using a 3-prong outlet so I have to manually plug in whichever vessel (HLT, BK) I need to control. I am using Auber 40A SSR and heatsink on 240v (actually 245v at my house).

Did a small trial run last night with just water, aside from two leaky keggles I was very impressed. The only thing is that I don't have the PID configured correctly (I don't think) and haven't run the auto-tune (actually I did, but didn't let it finish because I started pressing buttons and screwing stuff up).

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
Ricand
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Items needed
1 10+ foot 14AWG 3 wire extension cord.
1 SYL-2363A2 PID Controller
1 type K Thermocouple (example here, get one with long enough leads.)
6 blue Skinny fork connectors
I've been looking for this thread, I actually started another to find the Skinny fork connectors. I've looked everywhere I can think of to find those. Where did you get them? Coincidentally I have the same freezer and PIDs.

Quick Reply