The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How to: Ranco ETC 111000 wiring video

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
crazyworld
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default How to: Ranco ETC 111000 wiring video

Hey everyone. I just bought a new Ranco ETC 111000 temperature controller and the one or two videos on youtube on how to wire it were pretty dismal (and ridiculously long at 10 and 15 minutes!!!). So I got together with my friend John today and we shot one of our own.

It's only a minute and a half and even clearer than the others. Like it and comment on youtube and then let us know what you think of it here! Hope it helps.

Nick
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Kirch3333
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well that makes it look simple. You're right about the others. There's alot of talking which makes it kinda confusing. Great vid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
GTaylor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That looks pretty easy, thinking about picking one of these up to run my keezer and using the stc-1000 for fermentation refrigerator.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had written the below response but totally forgot to post it so I felt it was necessary for anyone interested in the future.

I gotta say, wiring it is a piece of cake. Shooting the video took wayyyy longer. Even the operation couldn't be easier. I was glad to pay the extra few bucks for this digital one over anything analog. I paid a touch under $50 bucks (shipped) for mine from a reputable seller on ebay. Got it super fast and grabbed the 10ft extension from Harbor Freight for $6.50.

You will additionally need a wire nut (preferred) or electrical tape for this job not mentioned in the beginning of the video.

The only thing I would've added had I found one (made the time to find one) was a 1/2" NM/SE (non-metalic/service entrance) connector sometimes known as a squeeze connector or Romex connector typically made by Gampak or Halex. This goes in the conduit knockout in the bottom of the Ranco controller and clamps down on the cable to eliminate cable stress on the teriminal blocks and eliminating the possibility that the cables can pull out of the terminal blocks. I had my friend float some hot glue in my conduit knockout after it all was wired instead.

Tips: Don't use any larger gauge cable than 14 (larger cable = lower number) or it won't fit in the terminal blocks. I used 14 but 16 gauge is probably your best bet here as long as your extension cord isn't too long. Try not to leave as much copper showing as I initially did. I ended up going back and trimming the wire and made sure it was pushed as far as possible into the terminal block. If you're handy with a soldering iron, it would also be wise to tin the wires.

isleofman Likes This 
Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
rmaloney86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Need this

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just watched the video. Well done. I feel a little better about buying the diy version now. And it saves me 30 bucks from morebeer. My wallet thanks you.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

So If I take this approach (and using it with a freezer fermentation chamber) I could us this modified Ranco ETC 111000 temperature controller with a heat source during the winter months then I could us the controller with the freezer during the hot months correct?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Default also

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
So If I take this approach (and using it with a freezer fermentation chamber) I could us this modified Ranco ETC 111000 temperature controller with a heat source during the winter months then I could us the controller with the freezer during the hot months correct?
great video by the way!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT View Post
yup you got it. fyi, most people use an incandescent lamp as their heat source. you shouldn't need more than that in such a small space. just understand that it wont switch between sources automatically; you'll need to do that yourself once the weather really starts changing

Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
JUST_BREW_IT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
yup you got it. fyi, most people use an incandescent lamp as their heat source. you shouldn't need more than that in such a small space. just understand that it wont switch between sources automatically; you'll need to do that yourself once the weather really starts changing
What method do you use with you temp probe? do you just stick it in a glass of water in the chamber? I exclusively ferment in stainless kegs so i'm not sure what the best approach would be to get a true temp reading (without breaking the bank ).

Quick Reply