Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How To Make A 15 Gallon Fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
brewhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default How To Make A 15 Gallon Fermenter

first i started with getting the keg top cut out. since i had an 8" flange, i had the hole in the keg cut appropriately. i then had the flange welded on to the keg top. (I'm neither a cutter nor a welder so i had to out source these procedures)

what we're looking for here is a smooth, sanitary weld.

i cut the lexan circle to fit the top of the flange lip. the lid was then drilled, and tapped to fit my compression fillings.

the gasket material i fashioned from a piece of latex tubing. i rolled the tubing back on itself, and snapped it over the other end.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

we're almost there!

place the gasket on the flange

place the lexan lid on the gasket

apply your clamps

Old 09-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

finished keg

during fermentation one of the ports will be capped off while the other will be the blow off tube. when primary fermentation is complete all you need to do is insert a tube into the portal, pressurize the keg through the other portal with co3, and extract the yeast from the bottom of the keg. now you're ready for secondary clarification.
after clarification is complete you pressurize4 the keg using similar technique as above and push the beer into kegs for carbonation.
[/img]
many thanks to TC, SWL, and Brewgeek for their help. without them i'd still just have an idea.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well that's a one off design.
Cool.
Where did you get the 8" flange?

What boil kettle are you using for 15 gallon batches?

Old 09-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

8" flange was a freebie from a member of our brew club who does polimars and high end chemicals.

i'm using a 20 gallon boil kettle to do 15 gallon batches on this:

we also have a club 50 gallon kettle and fermenter

we'll be using this one to do our 55 gallon bourbon barrel brew this fall that will condition in cold storage until next fall

Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm assuming all the work putting the flange on was to acheive more headspace right? I was going to make a lexan cover and put it directly down on the top of the keg, but that would limit me to 12 gallons or less.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

that would absolutely work bobby - in fact that was my original idea - but then i happened upon the flange - and i thought - BAM ! more head space - more beer YEAH!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewhead, can you tell me how that lexan was cut? I actually need to cut a circle out of some 1/4" lexan myself, and was really wondering how to go about it without getting a nasty lop-sided mess.

Thanks in advance!

BTW the fermenter looks great!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #9
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i cut the lexan with a craftsman scroll saw and smoothed it all out with the belt sander. the thinner the blade the better the cut will go. it will take you prob 15 minutes or so of cutting if you are patient. push it and you'll be breaking blades

Old 09-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I hate to rain on anyone's parade or efforts, but I don't think the Lexan is going to stand up to much pressure before it breaks or cracks.

An 8 inch hole has an area of 8^2*pi/4 = 50 in^2. Applying 3 psi to the vessel will result in a 150 pound force to the lexan. I guess it depends on the thickness of the lexan.

Otherwise it looks great.

Getting back into brewing...

Last edited by brewman !; 09-26-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply