Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How large a Hopper to handle 5 gallon batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
IwanaBrich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How large a Hopper to handle 5 gallon batch?

I am planning to start grain brewing real soon! I built a mash-tun and wort cooler. Unfortunately my LBS doesn't have a grain crusher on site, so I've decided to buy a roller mill of my own, rather than buy already crushed grain. I liked idea of using larger rollers, so I decided upon the MM2-2.0 roller mill from Monster Brewing Hardware.

Now I want to design and build a hopper, but I don't know how large to build it. I'd like it to be able to handle enough grain for a 5 gallon batch. I'm thinking about using wood and/or sheet metal.

Does anyone know how many cubic inches or gallons the grain hopper needs to be?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by IwanaBrich; 04-02-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Depends on your beer. Some beers take a bit of grain, some take a bunch.

The hopper I put on my crusher seemed small, but I was in a hurry just to put somethign on and test the crush (it's a homemade crusher). It will handle just over 2 lbs.

I marked the 2 lb. line and use that to measure the grain I crush. As it is, I don't see the need to upgrade to a bigger one, myself. I can always stoop down and scoop up another 2 lbs. of grain easy enough.

I've seen them with 5 lb and larger hoppers though. Mine is roughly 4x6x10 inches, but that is an estimation, as I am at work and the crusher is at home in the garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply