The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How to label faucets when you have 8 beers on tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How to label faucets when you have 8 beers on tap?

Hi everyone!

OLD BAR:

In my previous bar I had 4 taps and show what's available like this:

With "only" 4 taps it works well. It's fairly obvious to someone which tap is for which beer but people still sometimes had problems figuring this out.

NEW BAR:

In my new bar I'm putting in a passthru tower with 8 taps:

It will be against a wall with a large chalkboard behind it where the beers will written out from 1 to 8.

Problem is that now it's even harder to find the right handle to pull, so I'm thinking of printing something like these:

On something like these limestone handles:

I really like the modern/contemporary look of these handles (straight/no curves). They should go well with the basement/bar as it will be very modern with lots of natural/textured surfaces. (Think Manhattan lounge, not a UK pub).

These handles would only leave 1/4" of spacing between handles however. Would that look odd? Not leave enough room? I can get the spacing on the tower changed but I'd rather leave it at the standard 3" spacing between tap centers.

Anyone seen any other custom handles available that look more 'modern' than most curvy wood handles?

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

You should be chastized for veiled gloating. Didn't your momm teach you that's rude?
That's awsome, dude. Was the setup expensive? you mustr be the most popular guy in the neighborhood

Last edited by william_shakes_beer; 03-30-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: phat phingers

Old 03-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
You should be chastized for veiled gloating. Didn't your momm teach you that's rude?
That's awsome, dude. Was the setup expensive? you mustr be the most popular guy in the neighborhood
The new setup's not build yet. Pricing is still being worked out.

Kal

Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Make your own chalkboard handles..

I did..but they are not as cool as what I think you are looking for.

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
phertwo
Recipes 

How about setting up an LED flat screen behind the taps. Run it to a computer where you can run a slide show of the different beers on tap (say.. 8 scrolling screens). Each screen will show information about the beer and perhaps a picture of the tap handle that leads to the beer being advertised on the screen. Have 8 unique handles that are modern, stylish and unique. Or have numbered tap handles..

Perhaps even a screen that is sectioned off in 8 columns. Thus allotting room behind each tap handle for a picture and info.

Just a suggestion.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phertwo View Post
Have 8 unique handles that are modern, stylish and unique.
Any suggestions? That's partly what I'm looking at trying to find here. I really do like the limestone ones but am open to anything else. I've been looking for some time now.

Kal

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

With the tower you selected it will be very hard to use any handle other than the standard black one pictured. My local brewery just did a remodel and have 2 of those towers and can't use their tap handles on them because they are too close. They now use the black plastic handles like pictured. If you want something custom I would use a woodel dowel close to the size of the black handle( maybe a bit thicker) and lathe them into shape and simply carve or burn in the #'s 1-8 on them then stain them. If you had that tower in front of you you will see how tight the spacing is.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I think the tap handles with numbers or even stickers made like the hop cones you have above might be a simple and easy solution, if used in combination with the chalk board. Just my 2cents.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
phertwo
Recipes 

I found a picture of something similar to your granite handles in wood. It looks quite uniform - not sure that I ultimately like it though (don't know why). But I would assume the granite would look similar. I think you would have to get use to pouring beer by grabbing the top of the handle only as it doesn't look like there is much room to grab the sides.

Other than granite you could look at concrete, polished or not (sounds funny but its a popular material for many contemporary artists/designers), perhaps glass or incorporate a sheet of lexan with an etched number or letter on it.

I'm out of ideas, back to work. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
With the tower you selected it will be very hard to use any handle other than the standard black one pictured. My local brewery just did a remodel and have 2 of those towers and can't use their tap handles on them because they are too close. They now use the black plastic handles like pictured. If you want something custom I would use a woodel dowel close to the size of the black handle( maybe a bit thicker) and lathe them into shape and simply carve or burn in the #'s 1-8 on them then stain them. If you had that tower in front of you you will see how tight the spacing is.
Thanks for the heads up. Instead of a 33" long tower with 3" spacing for 8 taps I could go with a 39" tower with 4" spacing. They can do anything.

That would leave 1.25" between handles. If the handle maker can make them 2" wide instead of 2.75" that would leave 2" between handles which is probably enough. (?)

Or take those 2.75" wide handles down to 1.5" and keep the original tower, which leaves 1.5" between handles at the top.

I'll see what they say.

I'll have to mock it up in real life just to see for myself how it 'feels' before I commit. The handles taper to the bottom so it may work.

More ideas/thoughts welcome!
Kal

Quick Reply