New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How did you install weldless hlt coil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How did you install weldless hlt coil?

I would like to know how some of you installed you weldless hlt coils in your keggles. Im looking to eventually install a 50 ft coil of ss in my keggle and wanted to see how others did it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't have a coil in my HLT but it's a rather simple bulkhead design. Take the 90 degree compression elbow that I sell, apply teflon tape to the 1/2" npt threads, thread a 1/2" locknut all the way down until it stops, push a silicone flat gasket down the threads next.

Install the fittings on the coil, preferably using silicone orings as ferrules rather than the stainless ones, drop the coil into the HLT and push the threads of both fittings into the holes in the HLT and apply whatever exterior 1/2" Female NPT fitting you want. The simplest thing would be two type A camlocks or a type A on the top port and a ball valve then type F on the bottom port.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just used bargainfitting's soldered bulkhead with a 90 degree stainless elbow and a straight compression fitting.

Female camlock to the outside post

Works great

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
PLOVE

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bargainfittings: Weldless bulkhead to 90 degree elbow to 1/2 compression fitting. FWIW, I found that a Hex coils made of 50ft of 1/2" refrigeration tubing wrapped around a corny pretty much filled my sanke keggle to the brim. I ended-up chopping my coil down to ~30-35 ft and it's a much better fit. Just something to consider if you can find a smaller coil.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Id like to do it as affordable as possible. After all the fittings , coil and silicone tubing, quick disconnects, you are looking at a few hundred bucks

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.

The elbow compression fittings with some weldless add ons will be cheaper than separate bulkheads and compression. Judging by my own prices, it looks like $44 for the pair of compression elbows, $8.50 for a pair of locknuts, and $4 for a pair of silicone gaskets.

You could sweat some copper male adapters on the ends of the stainless along with a stainless washer to go really cheap but that starts tarnishing the big spend on the stainless coil.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
static

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
You could sweat some copper male adapters on the ends of the stainless along with a stainless washer to go really cheap but that starts tarnishing the big spend on the stainless coil.
I'll be doing this for the exchanger in mine. I'm using copper though.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

For copper coils, I think it's a no brainer to skip the compression fittings IF you feel comfortable with the soldering.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
static

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Ya I'm good with sweating a couple of fittings. I use compression on copper all the time but this application the fewer the joints the better IMO.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Cheap. Fast. Good. Pick two.

The elbow compression fittings with some weldless add ons will be cheaper than separate bulkheads and compression. Judging by my own prices, it looks like $44 for the pair of compression elbows, $8.50 for a pair of locknuts, and $4 for a pair of silicone gaskets.

Plus the coil plus the quick disconnects plus 20 or so feet of silicone hose. And thats all before a pump. Lol. I understand you gotta pay to play but sheesh! I just finished my control panel

Quick Reply