Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > How to assemble this compression fitting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How to assemble this compression fitting?

Got a sight glass / thermometer combo from bargain fittings and it includes this compression fitting for the sight glass tube. I ended up unscrewing the compression fitting and some pieces fell out onto the floor. I picked them up, but am not sure how to put it back together. I know that right now the compression fitting leaks right where the tube enters so I can only assume I'm assembling it incorrectly. Anyone have insight here? Thanks!

compression-fitting.jpg  

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ditch the inner metal pieces and use the two o-rings that came in the kit instead.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 411

If you look at this sight it has a picture of how the double ferrules go together under Stainless Steel tube compression fittings. It's the last pic on the page.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
mmonacel
Recipes 

Awesome - thanks guys!

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Agree, use the orings instead of the metal ferrule. I suppose he includes them because they come with the fitting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
mmonacel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Agree, use the orings instead of the metal ferrule. I suppose he includes them because they come with the fitting.
Interesting. Yeah two o-rings were included, but I figured they were for the eye bolt to hold the tube. I assembed the compression fitting as shown in the link jsguitar sent and it works great now with a 1/4 turn of a wrench.

What's the benefit of the o-ring over the ferrules? I can see how maybe taking it apart and storage is easier, but this is for my HLT. Not sure I'll be doing that all to often. Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
Interesting. Yeah two o-rings were included, but I figured they were for the eye bolt to hold the tube. I assembed the compression fitting as shown in the link jsguitar sent and it works great now with a 1/4 turn of a wrench.

What's the benefit of the o-ring over the ferrules? I can see how maybe taking it apart and storage is easier, but this is for my HLT. Not sure I'll be doing that all to often. Thoughts?
The ferrule is really designed to compress into metal...and provides a mechanical seal as it compresses inward...as well as provide a seal against very high pressures.

because the sight glass is more brittle you can't tighten it as much before you run the risk of cracking.

O-rings are much more forgiving for sealing low pressure leaks, and against causing cracks.

if you've got it together with no leaks, then your good!

But for the supplier, in general, people will run into fewer problems with orings

Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #8
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Bumping an old thread, but I can't find an answer. What size oring for 1/2 stainless compression? I'm having a hell of time getting the compression fitting to fit, so I think an oring might be a lot easier.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Quick Reply