Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > House water filter for outside hose use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
heyjaffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default House water filter for outside hose use

After attending a intro to home brewing at my LHBS (Maryland Homebrew AKA MDHB) and seeing the instructor with a home-based water filter attached to a hose meant for drinking water, I decided to build something similar on my own today, as my brewing is set to move out of the kitchen to the patio this week.

I headed down to Home Depot and picked out a GE Household Water Filtration Unit model GXWH04F and some filters, along with some boat and camper hose. I ran home to test it out without even thinking about the mismatch between the female threading on the filter unit vs. the hose.

So began my adventure to the local non-Home Depot hardware store and you can see the damage in the picture. The threading on the filter in and out side is 3/4 pipe thread, hose end is 3/4 hose thread (go figure), pipe thread is not hose thread. The in side of the filter has a 3/4 male pipe to 3/4 male hose thread adapter. I then cut off the male end of the hose and replaced it with a female, so my hose is now female at both ends... there's a joke there somewhere. The out side of the filter has a 3/4 male pipe to 3/4 male pipe nipple attached to 3/4 to 3/4 shut off valve attached to 3/4 to 1/2 adapter attached to 1/2 male pipe to 1/2 male pipe nipple to a foot long stainless braid. I think I may have overcomplicated it, but I sure learned about pipe threading along the way and now outside brewing should be good with good water close by.

gefilter.jpg  

"Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health" –Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

That's pretty interesting. Was there a specific reason why you were filtering your water? I don't know anything about water back east.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
That's pretty interesting. Was there a specific reason why you were filtering your water? I don't know anything about water back east.
Chlorine or Chloramine or whatever it is that WSSC puts in my water. Out of the tap is not terrible but it's significantly better once passed through a filter.

"Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health" –Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Looks good. Keep in mind that the slower the flow the better it works. I have to run mine at ~1.5-2 gal/min in order to remove enough chlorine that I'm comfortable using it for brewing.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Looks good. Keep in mind that the slower the flow the better it works. I have to run mine at ~1.5-2 gal/min in order to remove enough chlorine that I'm comfortable using it for brewing.
Good reminder - this is meant for use as a whole house filter so I figured whatever pressure came out of the tap, it could handle. In that my output is a small stainless steel braid, I think 3/8 vs. the 3/4 input, the water comes out at a pretty high pressure regardless of how much I open the tap. The filter itself is rated for 40 - 125 psi.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjaffy View Post
Chlorine or Chloramine or whatever it is that WSSC puts in my water. Out of the tap is not terrible but it's significantly better once passed through a filter.

I'm in Gaithersburg, same water source (all of WSSC's water comes from either the Potomac of the Patauxent, whichever is closer to your location.) A couple years ago someone was getting rid of a water filter (uses these cartridges.) I've been using water from that as my brewwater and top off water for some time now and have had no problems. Before that, I would get the 5 gallon water jugs from home depot and use that, mainly because it was already measured to 5 gallons (although I would loose 1/2 gallon in steam)

BTW what "local non- home depot store" did you visit? I'm a handyman/contractor, let me know if you ever need anything or just want to swap some homebrews

Old 04-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroonery View Post
I'm in Gaithersburg, same water source (all of WSSC's water comes from either the Potomac of the Patauxent, whichever is closer to your location.) A couple years ago someone was getting rid of a water filter (uses these cartridges.) I've been using water from that as my brewwater and top off water for some time now and have had no problems. Before that, I would get the 5 gallon water jugs from home depot and use that, mainly because it was already measured to 5 gallons (although I would loose 1/2 gallon in steam)

BTW what "local non- home depot store" did you visit? I'm a handyman/contractor, let me know if you ever need anything or just want to swap some homebrews
I failed to mention that I've since found that there are water filters targeted for RV/camping use that hook right up to a male hose end that would have saved me all of the adapter and hose cutting work. Does the filter you use hook up to a hose outside or is that your inside filter?

My local hardware store is Strosniders in downtown Silver Spring, which is affiliated with True Value. I wouldn't go there to purchase major building supplies, but for just about everything else, it's great.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
JMaslar
Recipes 

I use a home water filter to filter out my liquor - we are working on using one for filtering beer post-secondary. The increase quality of the water aroma alone is worth it - and the filters are quite inexpensive.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjaffy View Post
I failed to mention that I've since found that there are water filters targeted for RV/camping use that hook right up to a male hose end that would have saved me all of the adapter and hose cutting work. Does the filter you use hook up to a hose outside or is that your inside filter?

My local hardware store is Strosniders in downtown Silver Spring, which is affiliated with True Value. I wouldn't go there to purchase major building supplies, but for just about everything else, it's great.

No, the filter I have has a 1/2" MIP on the in side and something different (can't remember) on the out side. It was designed to go with some fancy european faucet, but I just got a standard filter faucet tap for the sink, installed a shutoff valve on the supply side, and had to use several adapters to get it all to work. I generally avoid Strosniders because based on my experience, their prices are usually about 150%-200% of what the same product costs at home depot or lowes. They are in a pretty high rent district and have had a strong following for several decades, which is great, and they're a good place to get household stuff, but from where I am in Gaithersburg, I'd be going out of my way to pay more by shopping there.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
drac0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A few weeks ago I did similar, I wanted to filter the chlorine and chloramine out of my water before brewing.

Here's my setup

Quick Reply