HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
Thanks again to the OP for the inspiration. Here's my iteration:

Highlights include 9" diameter rings, 30x30 mesh, removable arms to make storage easier. It is a big mother after all. I'm setting up now to brew with it Sunday...
Can I ask what this cost you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #122
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Around 100 bucks as I had a bunch of scrap laying around. I paid for the mesh and a new tool as I turned down a .250 thick 9" stainless pipe for the support rings and wasted the tool so I needed to replace that. Everything else was sweat equity. It was fun building it.

Here's a shot in the BK. I'm stoked to brew with it although my first batch is all whole leaf with a light hop load so it won't really be a true test.

Edit: I should have bought the pastry rings, would have saved me a huge headache. Turning off that much material was a cock and a half. But I had it in the scrap pile so I guess that was the only good thing about it...

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #123
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

have you used the 30 x 30 mesh with a decent pellet load? I'm planning to make one using 30x30 mesh with .013 in wire diameter and .02 inch hole size. Is this what you used? have you had success with pellets. Planning to make 10 inch diameter and have it extend almost all the way to the bottom of the BK

Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #124
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

I've used mine now twice, both with pellet only loads. My first brew was to be a whole leaf but I switched to pellets at the last minute as I altered my recipe a bit. That one was only an ounce so it went very well. The last brew I made, I used 5 ounces and pulled a 45 minute whirlpool with a 10 minute cooling recirc and my plate chiller flowed perfectly the whole time. 30x30 lets a little trub through but not nearly enough to clog the plate chiller.

You have to recirc PBW to get the hop trub out of the plate chiller afterwards as a simple backflush wasn't getting much out but the thing is flowing the whole time without restriction so I am ok with the PBW recirc. I should have probably been doing that more in the past anyway...

Overall, I'm very happy with my setup but I'm only 2 batches in. I need to do a huge IPA to see if it can handle a very large load but I think it will be ok.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #125
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks. I have a stainless tea ball around my dip tube now but that was designed for my old boil kettle and doesn't seal around the blichmann dip tube and lets hops in to plug the duo tube and plate chiller it also clogs with hops at the end of draining causing my to have to dump and strain the last gallon and a half or heavily hopped IPAs. Hoping that modifying that plus installing the hopster will allow a more full draining of the BK to the fermenter. I know a lot of people design recipes to end sup with an extra gallon of wort to dump but I can't see the waste when I make great beers this way.

Plate chillers definately require PBW recirc.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #126
kevink
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Irrenarzt,

Looks good! Did you weld the screen to the ring? Do you have screen on the bottom, too? BTW, nice location!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #127
Irrenarzt
HNIC

Recipes 

Yes and yes. I spot welded a screen bottom onto the bottom ring and the entire mesh is spot welded to itself and to both rings...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #128
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm lucky that I found this thread, a lot of good information's.
After some thoughts about building hop stopper, screen, bazooka etc. I think I'll go this route.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #129
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

These are being sold by stainless brewing and on Ebay....probably for right at what it would cost to DIY. I know the ebay guy will custom build as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #130
Biscostew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I added a build post and some pictures to my blog if anyone's interested in doing this. After using mine for a year, I would highly recommend adding one to your current brew set up if you haven't already!

Check out my blog Lionheart Brewing for homebrew recipes other beer related thoughts or follow me on twitter @LionheartBeer

diS Likes This 

Quick Reply