*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Hoppo's Rustic Motorized Grain Mill Cabinet and Grain Storage Bin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #51
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love the rustic look... Really Cool!!

Maybe you could build a scale into the top of your milling station on one side and remote mount the display where you intended to put your outlet on the front.
Here is a similar scale to the one I use and would look really cool built into your milling station. Digital Shipping Postal Scale

Hoppopotomus Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Thanks man! Yes, I was planning on having a scale on the left elevated surface next to the mill. I have been looking around for a scale, but hadn't considered a postal scale. The price isn't bad either! I probably won't build it into the top, rather once the cement board and tumbled travertine are installed, just set it on top. I have electrical outlets all over the place in the brewery with two down low behind the milling cabinet and two at countertop level above the cabinet, so the outlet on the front of the cabinet isn't crucial. I just have a little OCD when it comes to symmetry, so when I installed the handy box for the mill switch, I needed to balance it out with a receptacle on the opposite side. If the display could fit and mount into the handy box, then I would certainly consider mountint the display there. Thanks for the heads up and ideas!

P.S. I've been searching high and low for a large pulley, but no luck. I'm going to bite the bullet and order the pulleys, reducing sleeve, and belt from Grainger today so that I can move forward.....at total of around $60. With the exceptional price that I got on the mill ($60) and having recycled materials to build the cabinets and install hardward, I'll still only be $200 into the project when all is said and done.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #53
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Update: I did a little more searching around and found a vendor on Amazon called Zoro Tools that has pulleys, reducing bushings, and belts for much less than Grainger.

12" OD with 1/2" bore pulley: Grainger= $37.80 Zoro= $25.75
2" OD with 1/2" bore pulley: Grainger= $5.66 Zoro= $3.68
V-Belt 60in 4L: Grainger= $8.97 Zoro= $7.45
1/2" to 3/8" reducing bushings (3 pack): Grainger= $7.40 Zoro= $5.79

My total with $5 shipping with Zoro was $47 for a 30% savings over Grainger. I'll update on how quick they ship, but their prices are more reasonable for the exact same products by the exact same manufacturers (Congress, Dayton).

Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #54
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

FYI: I placed my order with Zoro Tools yesterday late morning and it shipped mid afternoon via UPS. Anticipated date of delivery is tomorrow! I can't believe that I didn't know about this company. They have over 300,000 products and from what I see are significantly cheaper than Grainger. They also have free shipping on orders over $50, otherwise their rates are very reasonable, as they only charged me $5 to ship my entire order. So far I'm impressed with their efficiency and as long as I receive delivery tomorrow, I will happily continue to use them over Grainger!

I'll try to get the mechanical side of the build done throughout the weekend. I worked 14 hrs. yesterday, so I should get out at a decent time today. Hopefully I'll have time to sand the mill and grain storage cabinets and maybe get a coat of poly on each. Coming down the home stretch!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmarty View Post
what will be the system to organize your grain in your bin? Showed the pics to my wife and she loves all of it. BTW when are you going to the islands, thought you left already?
I've been thinking about your question further on organizing/storing of the grains in the bin. I think I'm going to use food grade buckets with gamma lids to seal them air tight. I'm going to take a few measurements, but should be able to fit at lest 6 of them in the bin along in 3 stacks with some smaller, air tight containers for miscellaneous specialty grains. Should be plenty of storage. If you have any other ideas, let me know. I have several restaurants around my business, so I'm going to see if I can pick up the buckets for free and then just order the gamma lids.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #56
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I like the Gamma lids for dry stuff...but for wet there is a gap between the snap-on ring and the pail that is hard to clean/sanitize....I'm considering silicone to seal it.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Got a little more done today. I cut a trim piece to size for the mill to sit on and then cut the r/o's for the grain chute and an elongated notch for the pulley system. I also got the logs cleaned up and both pieces completely rough and finished sanded. I then started frabricating a shroud to cover the pulley system on the back side of the mill, but will wait for the pulleys, etc. tomorrow to finish it because I'm having a couple of clearance issues. Here are a few pics. of today's progress.

p.s. Thanks for the feedback helibrewer!

img_2785.jpg   img_2789.jpg   img_2792.jpg   img_2796.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #58
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I received my shipment from Zoro Tools on Friday. I installed the 12" pulley on the mill with the reducing bushing. I went to install the small pulley on the motor and realized that the shaft was 5/8", not 1/2" like I was told. When I got the motor, it had a 3 inch pulley already on it and I was just assuming that the shaft was 1/2", so I never measured it before ordering. Anyone need a 2" pulley with a 1/2" bore? It was only $4.00, so it will be more a hastle trying to return it.

Using the existing 7 lb. hopper that came with the mill was making things difficult due clearance issues, because the hopper flares out in all directions. I didn't leave a hell of a lot of clearance on the back side to fabricate a shoud to block the pulley from fingers. I tried several different configurations, but eventually got pi$$ed off and went a different route. I decided to build a new hopper for the mill that will not only give me the clearance needed behind the mill, but will also give me more capacity and serve a a shroud to block the pulley. It's still a work in progress, but here's what I got done so far. I'm making the hopper removeable, so that I can still easily access the set screws for gap adjustments.

img_2800.jpg   img_2801.jpg   img_2806.jpg   img_2807.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #59
rockinmarty
Big Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Hey Hoppo can we see the inside of your wooden hopper. Thanks for the update.

Tabhair dom beoir nó a thabhairt dom bháis
My E-brewery build(as cheap as possible)(Be patient slow progress)

Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #60
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry, went over to my inlaws for dinner and to watch the Tigers/Yankees game, so no more progress today. Go Tigers! The mill hopper is not the prettiest thing on the inside right now, but after I finish dressing up the outside with knotty pine paneling and trimming it out, I'm going to line the entire inside with some laminate hardwood flooring material. Again, I'm using up scrap pieces from the old entertainment center and just piecing the hopper together as I go. I have a couple of cases of the laminate flooring left over from when we built the house. I figure that it's brand new material and is a pre-finished laminate, so there should be no friction and the grain should slip right down the surface of the material.

I have a question.......Is it totally frowned upon to use this laminate flooring or simply wood with a polyurethane finish to line the hopper? I'm sure that some would say that the interior should techinically be stainless or at least lined with a food safe plastic, but is that necessary? I just figure that the a portion of the grain will be in contact with the surface as it slips down the sides of the chute and into the mill. The contact will be brief, without long term exposure. Am I safe doing this or should I line the interior with something different? I don't want to start a major debate like some of the grain storage threads that I have read about food safe pails vs HD buckets, jsut want a little feedback.

Here's a few pics of the interior and a pic of the laminate flooring that I was planning on using.

img_2809.jpg   img_2811.jpg   img_2812.jpg   img_2814.jpg  

Quick Reply