New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Hoppo's Rustic Motorized Grain Mill Cabinet and Grain Storage Bin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #121
Monster Mash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 12

It was hard to tell with the pics but it sounds like you have it under control. Nice work!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #122
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
It was hard to tell with the pics but it sounds like you have it under control. Nice work!!
Thanks man! I always appreciate any advice or feedback that I can get from those who have been at this much, much longer than I have.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #123
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hello all! I'm going to use my grain mill for the first time this weekend. Despite the fact that it's not 100% complete from an asthetics perspective, it's fully operational. I have combed through the threads and have seen a very wide range of gap settings being used. It's appears as though several people with this mill (The Barley Crusher) like the gap setting at .035". I purchased a set of feeler guages today and will make some adjustments to the rollers tonight. Does this sound like a good starting point to all of you experienced grain millers out there? Any feedback would be great!

I'm doing 3 five gallon PM batches back to back to back on Saturday, starting at 6:00 a.m. I am trying to wrap up before my parents arrive to stay later in the afternoon, so I have my work cut out for me. I will also get to try out my new fermentation chambers, as I'm brewing 2 ales and my first lager! Wish me luck and let me know about the gap setting.

solomonrz101 Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #124
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Good Luck and thanks again for another awesome build!

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Hoppopotomus Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #125
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Your too kind....thank you for following along.

I'm still at work, but plan on running home once I get out and testing out the grain mill tonight. I have 3 batches to brew this weekend, so I may do a late night brew session tonight and 2 early morning brew sessions tomorrow. I'll post some pics of the crush to get some feedback.

I haven't gotten any responses on my mill gapping question, so feel free to chime in. Does .035" sound like a good starting point for my Barley Crusher mill?

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #126
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a three roller Monster Mill and that's my gap. It's on the fine side but I've learned to make it work and get great efficiency.

MaxOut Brew Station on AHA

Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #127
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback MaxOut! I milled grains on Friday night for the 3 partial mashes that I brewed over the weekend. This process did not go without a couple of problems. I see what you mean, the crush was pretty fine. I also found that during my first "test run" at .035, the mill would not pull the grain through at times. The Barley Crusher is just a two roller mill with one of the rollers direct driven and the other is passive. I had no problems with the drive side of the mill, with no slippage of the belts and no binding, but at times the drive side would keep spinning and the passive side would sit idle. So, with the smaller gap, the grain at times was not being pulled down between the roller. I was using a paint stirring stick to push the grain down and then it would start pulling it through. I started with 8 lbs. of grain and after the first trial test, which took about 10 minutes, and the frustration of having to keep agitating the grains downward over the roller. I decided to adjust the gap, so I opened it up another .005" and what a difference. The second round of grains made it through the mill very quickly with a decent crush and not once did stop pulling the grains through. As I sifted through the milled grains, I found a small percentage of the grains still intact, so I ran them through again and it looked much better. For now, I think that I am going to keep the gap .040" and do a double crush, since the mill works so efficiently at that gap.

I also found that my opening under the mill where the grains fall through sits futher back that I would like, so a little bit of grain was missing the bucket underneath. I used a little bit of ducting material and created a chute to direct the grains to the center of the bucket and then things were smooth sailing from there. I think that I am going to build a nicer chute and once I work a few bugs out, this milling process should prove to be very efficient. I'm still open to any feedback, as I am still new to milling my own grains. I am not very technilogically savvy, but I may try to make a video next time I mill some grains to show the HBT'ers how this thing works.

Here are a few pics....one with my daughter assisting. What can I say, she's a daddy's girl and is always eager to help out with my brewing.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #128
crazyirishman34
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 74

With my mill that is motorized in a similar fashion If I start the mill before dumping the grain in it tends to work just fine. But if I pour the grain in first it tends not to work. At that point I just turn the large sheave backwards by hand. Then start the motor it will start milling at that point.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #129
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2143 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Wait a minute, you finally brewed? Crap, I had my $5 on the first week of Jan 2013.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #130
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

They do indeed make great brewing assistants! Mine love squeezing the trigger on the Dewalt to help grind the grain, and are even now brave enough to help out with some of the hop additions. Great setup, glad to see you we're finally able to take it for its maiden voyage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus

Here are a few pics....one with my daughter assisting. What can I say, she's a daddy's girl and is always eager to help out with my brewing.

Quick Reply