Honeywell VR8200A2132 + Auberins2362 Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone -

I purchased the Honeywell VR8200A2132 and Auberins 2362 PID units for my rig. Just a heads up, I am not an electrical engineer or tech savvy with wiring. Everything I have done with my rig, as far as wiring has been based off of other people's rigs and input.

The wiring for my control box and wiring to my valves was followed from this site http://www.2nobledogsbrewing.com/20...-brew-rig-build-part-three-the-control-panel/

The only change that I made was that I used a doorbell transformer rather than one from radio shack. A transformer is a transformer from what I understand.

After I got everything hooked up I turned the power on. PIDS turn on and Valves start to hum with electricity. When I throw the switch to turn on the valve I hear a click in the valve. The switches I use to turn on the valves are the On-Off-On switches. Pilot lights work correctly. The thermocouple forces the valve to turn off when the pilot is extinguished, so that's working.

Here's my problem: There is no gas coming from the valve once I turn it on.

Each valve is receiving 22 Volts on the nose.

Not that it matters but I'm using the BG 14 burners, which I believe are propane burners.

I have returned the original valves and received new valves from Pexsupply. Same problem occurs after hooking them up. The valves get power but no gas between the valve and burner. Only pilot light.

Honeywell has not responded to my email about this issue.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this further? If you need any more details let me know and I'll gladly supply you with them.

You didn't mention your gas source, but if it is propane and you don't have a low pressure regulator in front of those Honeywells I think they get upset...

Cheers!

I apologize. I am using LP. the valves came with a conversion kit, so I converted them (changed the springs and caps). I also have a regulator with a guage attached and am in the appropriate PSI range for using LP gas.

I agree that it sounds like you might have too much pressure coming into the valves. 11-13 inch water column. that about .4 or .5 psi.

You need a larger transformer. The doorbell transformer has a very low VA output. You will need 40va to 75 va to operate those valves. Check with the manufacturer or supplier and keep in mind the quantity of loads you have in the circuit.
The click you hear is the power going to the solenoid of the valve, but again there isn't enough power (volt-amperes) to open the valve.
My opinion.

You need a larger transformer. The doorbell transformer has a very low VA output. You will need 40va to 75 va to operate those valves. Check with the manufacturer or supplier and keep in mind the quantity of loads you have in the circuit.
The click you hear is the power going to the solenoid of the valve, but again there isn't enough power (volt-amperes) to open the valve.
My opinion.
The Honeywell spec indicates that it draws 0.5 amps @ 24vac which is a 12VA requirement. Even this POS Homedepot transformer is rated at 20VA. I am, however, concerned that the transformer output is only measuring 22vac.

The OPs issue is likely related to input pressure being too high.

Oh wow. ok. I think I flipped WC for PSI. Can you say noob? Unfortunately I have to wait 4 more hours til I can try this out since I'm at work. I'll keep you updated.

Problem solved. Thanks for jogging my head on the pressure. I released the Regulator a bit and back it down to around .5-1 psi. The first valve let gas through. It was the best sounds ever. Now I have to tweak it to the sweet spot.

Back